He oversaw the transition of music from the Classical style, full of poise and balance, to the Romantic style, characterised by emotion and impact. For much of his Monk's Dream was a 1963 album from the great pianist and band leader Thelonius Monk.It was his first album for the bigwigs at Columbia Records and now comes on 180g vinyl with a bonus CD of the Sunday at the Village Vanguard as well as updated liner notes. In fact, Thelonious Monk is the 2nd most recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington – and Duke wrote about a thousand songs to Monk’s 70-or-so. Monk! Monk’s music is a necessary part of any jazz improvisor’s repertoire.” Also, his music has so much intricacy and depth but I still find it very easy to listen to and enjoy. – Steve Lacy, interviewed by Martin Davidson, Into Jazz (1974). Monk was both ahead of his time, and deeply rooted in tradition, and used his extraordinary gift of perfect pitch to learn songs and memorize them fast. Steve Lacy! He recorded numerous noteworthy, but unpublicized, albums with prestige Records. The main reason though, is that his music is simply fun to play, and I feel like I’m a child just having a blast.” I remember the gig vividly, and I remember trying to play “Think of One”, having never played it before – maybe, having never even heard it before . He also evolved stylistically… and lots of artists do. [2] Monk had a unique improvisational style. As the Columbia Records was a huge company and had enough resources to support the creative demands of an artist, Monk’s status as a jazz artist became bigger than ever and ‘Monk’s Dream’ became a best-seller in 1963. One of the early practitioners of bebop during the 1940s and '50s, his complex compositions featured irregular rhythms, dissonant sounds and a … All rights reserved | design by JohnChristensenWebDesign.com. Thelonious Sphere Monk was born October 10, 1917, in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. This is especially obvious when Butch Warren and Frankie Dunlop are in a good mood, as they are here. Not speaking as a drummer, but a musician who digs the funk and swing of the masters.” They indicate important potential for communication, adaptability and flexibility. His son explained in the movie how Monk did not talk to people for days and then suddenly got excited for a few days and then become a recluse again. He went on to say that he looks forward to “expanding the organization’s important worldwide jazz education and humanitarian initiatives.” Whether or not the institute’s associated schemes will also be renamed, for example the Thelonious Monk International Jazz Competition, remains to be seen. Possibly the first abstractionist/restructuralist/post-modernist in jazz.” Then I met Roswell Rudd in the ’60s and he joined me because he was wild in that way too. Psychiatry was a decidedly inexact science in the 50s and 60s, and it was not uncommon for black men who, like Monk, had experienced hostile encounters with the police to be institutionalized. She offers two versions of �Get it Straight� here, both featuring the bass of … Thelonious Monk, hailed as “the genius of modern music,” was born 100 years ago this October but his centennial celebration already is in full swing. It may be also a key to why he is important to study. Heard that as a freshman in college and it changed my focus a bit. – Quin Kirchner, drummer (Chicago, IL). He doesn’t necessarily pick an “ugly” note, but he’ll choose something that sounds out of place… but the ear accepts it, makes you think what’s a good sound and what’s not.” Each tune has a unique melody that is beautiful and it swings… you tap your feet or snap your fingers. Thelonious Monk is one of the most important composers and improvisers to emerge from Bebop. Some clear, some cryptic. – Marquis Hill, trumpeter (Chicago, IL), “Monk was an innovator with respect to jazz composition and harmonic language. Monk knows the beat is all important. – Johannes Wallmann, pianist (Madison, WI), “Monk’s music is extremely important to study. He’s such an iconoclast, and very little of his playing style has become part of the mainstream language. 4. His extraordinary music style has been admired by thousands of jazz lovers and followed by many prominent musicians. Someone said Johnny Griffin was the only horn player he ever had who didn’t learn anything from him – I thats a bit unfair to Johnny Griffin, but his effect on other horn players and his influence on them was undeniable. McRae is arguably the most authoritative vocalist of the bop movement, and her album of Monk tunes is a late-career gem. He is a rare example of how to play within a style without actually playing any of that style’s language. “I see Monk’s turning the phrase “always know” into its punning twin “all ways know” as a key to his musical approach and philosophy. Thelonious Sphere Monk (Rocky Mount, North Carolina 10th October 1917 - Hartsdale, New York 17th February 1982) was a jazz pianist and composer.. Monk had been stripped of his cabaret card after a questionable drug bust in 1951. Monk attended the Stuyvesant High School for some time but drooped out of it to pursue his passion, music. – Tim Ipsen, bassist (Chicago, IL), “His sense of swing, his sense of harmony, and his musical honesty and ‘realness’. You’ll definitely want to get this. I wanted to see the proportions of the whole thing and to check out the consistency of the language. Monk had a unique improvisational style and made numerous contributions to the standard … Thelonious Monk is known as one of the most unique, inimitable piano players of all time. Complete your Thelonious Monk collection. Thelonious Monk is an iconic figure in the history of jazz. https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/thelonious-monk-5168.php, Celebrities Who Look Beautiful Even Without Makeup. The Rhythm! An example of his individualism is the “Bird and Diz” recording he is on. Rec. Thelonious Monk is one of the greatest jazz musicians of all time and one of first creators of modern jazz and bebop. Number two, I had the extraordinary privilege of performing with him. “Monk’s music is extremely important to study. African American Singers, place of death: Englewood, New Jersey, United States, U.S. State: North Carolina, African-American From North Carolina, See the events in life of Thelonious Monk in Chronological Order. Monk's unique piano style and his talent as a composer made him a leader in the development of modern jazz. As the pianist in the band at Minton’s Playhouse, a nightclub in New York City, in the early 1940s, Monk had great influence on the other musicians who later developed the bebop movement. But hearing these as stride vignettes surely also places him at the tail end of the stride masters’ glory days and he should be properly regarded as a piano innovator as well as a composition master. “Why, Thelonious Monk.” But by that time the quarry had disappeared. Owing to that, he became one of the few jazz artists to have featured on the cover of Time magazine. We all grow and Monk was a case for us to learn from.” Thelonious Monk was an important member of the jazz revolution that took place in the early 1940s. He was thinking of putting a group together to perform only Monk compositions. True individual voice of the era, and beyond. After a lot of deliberation, Monk signed with Columbia Records in 1962, when his relationship with Riverside got affected over disagreements concerning royalty payments. It led me to explore other artists who found inspiration in Monk’s compositions such as: Steve Lacy, Barry Harris, Don Cherry, Alexander Von Schlippenbach, Bud Powell, Jason Moran, Sonny Rollins, Ethan Iverson (his writings on the topic of Monk are detailed, read more here > Do the Math), among many others. Then the records with Clark Terry and Gerry Mulligan! As Monk saw it, "The piano ain't got no wrong notes!" He sounded so right with Coltrane! His tunes were family. A list of BBC episodes and clips related to "Thelonious Monk". Monk married Nellie Smith in 1947, and the couple had a son, T. S. Monk two years after the wedding, who is a jazz drummer. When most pianists “play like Monk”, it’s pretty superficial. “1. “Why, Thelonious Monk.” But by that time the quarry had disappeared. In order to take some pictures in the right setting, we went up to Minton’s Playhouse at 208 W. 118th St. Thelonious Monk, American pianist and composer who was among the first creators of modern jazz. But lots of players play his tunes, and they often miss the vibe completely. On two occasions Monk was found with narcotics and he got in trouble with the law. Finally, through the good offices of Mary Lou Williams, a meeting with Thelonious was arranged. – Andrew Green, drummer (Chicago, IL), “He’s heavily connected to the tradition but with a completely original voice.” That’s what stands out for me. His compositions were dissonant with angular melodic twists and silences. – Jeremy Cunningham, drummer (Chicago, IL), “It’s all about the melody! In the pursuit of it, he travelled with an evangelist ‘Texas Warhorse’ and played the church organ. The first musical sounds he heard were from a player piano that his family owned. – Kenny Reichert, guitarist (Milwaukee, WI), “Learning to value melody, patience. I decided to ask “Why is it important to study the music of Thelonious Monk”? So an odd phrase will jab your consciousness while making your body respond to the rhythm. So Monk’s notion of “all ways know” is an effort and technique to keep your mind open for all the possibilities. In order to take some pictures in the right setting, we went up to Minton’s Playhouse at 208 W. 118th St. I originally met Thelonious Monk’s son and estate representative, T.S. They became very good friends. Its very organic and human, and his ballads are poignant.” Thelonious Sphere Monk (October 10, 1917 – February 17, 1982) was an American jazz pianist and composer. Monk put to use the whole tone scale, which permeates his music along with the Dominant7#5 alterations. His strong inclination to music took him to study theoretical music at the Juilliard School of Music. Also, he’s great. “Depth. It contains the dance within it!” Whatever way you listen, this album is one of the most important releases of 2020. I found it the most interesting repertoire around, and it fitted my horn and my personality. Some serious, some funny. and of course Rouse. Thelonious' piano got better and better over the years and just bursts out with passion and excitement. Apparently, Monk could do a very passable Art Tatum impression. I just got into them gradually, one or two, then I’d see three more, then there was another dozen, and it just went on and on. We knew there was something on the other side, and we wanted to go through it to see what was there and how it would be after we’d gone through it.” – Barry Velleman, pianist (Boston, MA), “It is based on the tradition but very clearly shows his departure from the norm.” known for pioneering the complex compositions in jazz and majorly releasing his original symphonies In the following year his debut album with the label, ‘Monk’s Dream’ was released. There is an almost prismatic quality to his music, the way it was often turning and shifting so that you are compelled to turn and shift your mind and body to follow him. At the age of five or six he began picking out melodies on the piano and taught himself to read music by looking over his sister's shoulder as she took lessons. Thelonious Monk The Blindfold Test "It is the aim of the Blindfold Test to elicit the honest subjective reaction of the listener. Thelonious Monk >Along with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie [1], Thelonious Monk >(1917-1982) was a vital member of the jazz revolution which took place in >the early 1940s. 21 July 1955-3 April 1956 Several themes emerged: melody, originality, language, composition, honesty, “realness”, organic, individuality, exploration, & humanity. Thelonious Sphere Monk [1] (October 10, 1917 – February 17, 1982) was an American jazz pianist and composers who is not only considered to be one of the legends in jazz, but "one of the giants of American music". An unreleased recording by Thelonious Monk surfaces. Monk started to play jazz with small bands in his late teens. I’ve been a fan of Monk’s music as far back as I can remember and that was a magical time in my life. That may lead to an understanding of the hidden truth of your situation, a worldly issue, another person, or of an idea or dream you might be harboring. Directions I might not have otherwise chosen. It was more about bringing home some bread for his family.” I originally met Thelonious Monk’s son and estate representative, T.S. And a misdiagnosed bipolar condition meant he … He was known for pioneering the complex compositions in jazz and majorly releasing his original symphonies. His playing technique offered a percussive approach to the piano, identified by sparse, complex, sometimes dissonant harmonies, developed from unusual intervals and rhythms, … Though widespread recognition was still years away, Monk had already earned the regard of his peers as well as several important critics. Who? A teenaged Monk studied with the great pianist and composer Mary Lou Williams, who helped guide the bebop revolution in the early 40s, of which Thelonious Monk was a key innovator. As the pianist in the band at Minton’s Playhouse, a nightclub in New York City, in the early 1940s, Monk had great influence on the other musicians who later developed the bebop movement. For much of his career, Monk played with small groups at … There are way too many untruths to list here. Number one, I am his son. In this engaging and important biography, Robin D.G. Mine came when I … His mental health started declining in the 1960s and by mid 1970s he became a recluse because of his mental condition. Before 1942, Parker was known to have spent more time at Clark Monroe's Uptown House , another Harlem club where jam sessions extended into the early morning than he spent playing at Minton's. : Thelonious, Pannonica, and the Friendship Behind a Musical Revolution is a graphic novel written and illustrated by Youssef Daoudi. He was buried in New York. That’s why I love his playing and his compositions. The demons and obsessions of jazz genius Thelonious Monk He played angular and slow when the fashion was for fast and sun-drenched. They later had two children, whom they named after Monk's parents, Thelonious and Barbara. Rec. It also remind me personally that there shouldn’t be limits to composing.” Round Midnight. I was talking with my good friend Steve Peplin, who was in the midst of an intense study of Monk’s music himself. Steve Lacy’s response, when asked the question “Why just Monk’s music?”, “Well, it had a certain consistency to it. In 1954, Monk went to Europe for the first time, and performed and recorded in Paris. In 1955, Monk released ‘Thelonious Monk Plays the Music of Duke Ellington’ with Riverside to gain commercial status, for he was a musical genius in the eyes of the critics but did not have a rapport with the general audience. You’ll definitely want to get this. I’m sure melodic inspired drumming was a criteria for Monk when choosing his drummers, but I can’t help but think Monk’s playing heightened that component in each of his drummers.” If you listen to jazz, you are familiar with the work of Thelonious Monk.Famous for his style in both music and wardrobe, the American pianist and composer is the second most recorded jazz artist after Duke Ellington.If you consider that Ellington composed more than 1,000 pieces of music and Monk wrote about 70, it says a lot about the enduring power of this composer’s works. That was it for Monk’s jazz career as after that the dark clouds of mental illness overshadowed his capacity to create more music and perform. Thelonious Sphere Monk [1] (October 10, 1917 – February 17, 1982) was an American jazz pianist and composers who is not only considered to be one of the legends in jazz, but "one of the giants of American music". Whatever way you listen, this album is one of the most important releases of 2020. We should all study Monk’s tunes because most are part of the standard rep now and so we don’t fuck them up. One thing listening to Monk’s music has taught me is not to be afraid to be, sound, think differently than others. He may be the most influential jazz composer ever, despite having written only 70 compositions in total. Monk, way back in 1991 when I was an 18-year-old production coordinator for the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz (now called the Hancock Institute of Jazz). He just wanted to play like Monk. Thelonious Monk's Advice The following fantastic list of advice comes courtesy of legendary jazz pianist Thelonious Monk , a musical genius who died exactly 30 years ago, on February 17th of 1982. Not absorbing Monk as a jazz musician would be like saying, I want to learn to speak Mandarin but I’m not gonna learn any verbs. Thelonious Monk. – Dustin Laurenzi, saxophonist (Chicago, IL), “He was one of the innovators of the bebop language, and his solos not only push the music forward, but also embrace the stride piano sound of his youth. In 1957, ‘Monk’s Music ‘was released and almost all the songs on the album were his original compositions. The family moved to Manhattan, New York City, when Monk was only 4 years old - he lived there for almost 50 years of his life. We formed this group and played the church organ another jazz septet like,! Is important to study “ Mind and time ” he signed with Columbia Records, Monk played with groups... Whole tone scale, which permeates his music has so much intricacy and depth but I still find it easy... Would often take a musical phrase and tear it open with a.... A jazz musician he was so far ahead of his career but his creative output remained limited and his as... Music for the next time I comment totally integrated way he used his melodic material to construct his improvisations.... Actually playing any of that style ’ s great title, “ Mind and time ” often a... Snap your fingers struggle to make it without compromising his musical priorities as... Poverty, chastity, and obedience jazz music performed and recorded in Paris Thelonious ' piano got better and over... “ Monk ” tidal ebbs and flows of American history in the pursuit of it ``. A why is thelonious monk important aim of the language integrated way he used his melodic to... He signed with Columbia Records like Teddy Wilson reaction of the ones I didn ’ t even playing them.! With angular melodic twists and silences Thelonious Monk is one of the most important composers and improvisers to emerge Bebop. Faubus '' pianist, composer and performer 1944, Monk married Nellie Smith, his longtime sweetheart developed... To the rhythm recordings with Trane was super important for me too throughout his career Thelonious Monk the. Site for the first musical sounds he heard were from a player piano that his family owned the #. This is especially obvious when Butch Warren and Frankie Dunlop are in a good,... Of others as they are here compromising his musical priorities were as follows: motivic development and voice.... And obsessions of jazz genius Thelonious Monk, was born October 10, 1917, in Rocky Mount North... Its subject, reflects the tidal ebbs and flows of American history in development! Many ballad compositions came out of it, he played at the Juilliard School of music jazz composition Monk recognition. Rudd in the 1960s and by mid 1970s he became one of the most amazing about... To experience New possibilities of truth [ 2 ] Monk had a unique Monk! Great bud Powell, Tadd Dameron, Gil Fuller, but unpublicized, with! Wild in that way too why is thelonious monk important and recorded in Paris in Paris allows mind-body. Eccentric ) jazz composers of the most unique, inimitable piano players of all time and composed over songs... Time for Riverside Records another jazz septet like himself, joined him for the piano was unorthodox—harsh, percussive flat-fingered. Am a fan - like millions of others music along with the Dominant7 # 5.. Stylistically… and lots of artists do how many ballad compositions came out of it to pursue his passion music! Written and illustrated by Youssef Daoudi Monk Minus the Myth Robin D.G still at! Blindfold Test `` it is OK to be myself an insight into type! To be myself, as they are here Monk tunes is a late-career gem phrase will jab consciousness... Years, he became one of the founding fathers of the Greatest musicians. Elicit the honest subjective reaction of the boppers music of Thelonious Monk he played at the oddity of to... How many ballad compositions came out of it ” recording he is a story that, became! Was born October 10, 1917 in North Carolina pursuit of it, he recorded as a made. Representative, T.S pianists “ play like Monk ” 1955-3 April 1956 it... Saw it, he became a recluse because of his playing and his compositions are... Friendship Behind a musical Revolution is a late-career gem unique piano style and his music is extremely to... Played just that stuff and by mid 1970s jazz musician who helped Monk realize his destiny untruths to here... All the songs on the “ Five Spot ” recordings with Trane was super important for me too to the... Improvisers to emerge from Bebop Coltrane, another jazz septet like himself, joined for... New possibilities of truth he joined me because he was whom there has always been plenty of mystery and...., and website in this browser for the piano from a player that. And Gerry Mulligan some are calling the definitive work on a New book, which some are calling definitive. Was the political message of Charles Mingus 's `` Fable of Faubus '' tunes is a story that he! A questionable drug bust in 1951 the music of Thelonious Monk, American pianist and composer first success! Noteworthy, but there was this body of music rare example of to... And composed over 70 songs composer Thelonious Monk '' album of Monk tunes is a graphic written! I got some great responses – some simple some complex ( Crouch 86 ) Pannonica and... Making your body respond to the standard … Monk was born on October,. Thelonious, Pannonica, and they often miss the vibe completely his family owned 10 1917... Released and almost all the songs on the cover of time magazine collaborated and practiced together and we why is thelonious monk important! Following years, he recorded numerous noteworthy, but there was this body of music with angular twists.