You’ve probably already got damage in the bathroom floor/downstairs ceiling, no need to add another floor to your costs. 2) The pipe from the shower valve up to the shower head could be leaking. I have had the floor around the tub recauked and still leaking. 1.Upstairs Leak. This pipe is called the shower riser. It's leaking enough on my downstairs ceiling to make a few inches of drywall fall off. I have three very young … Solution – if access to the pipe-work is possible adjust, seal or tighten any joints to eliminate the leak. I have an upstairs shower that is randomly leaking into the downstairs ceiling. we had a accidental water leak at the master bath at second floor and it started dripping down to the living room in the first floor through the ceiling light fixture. 1. If your house has two floors, it perhaps can be caused by the leak in the upstairs bathroom. This often involves either cutting through the ceiling or the floor. Here's how to find a leak in the ceiling from an upstairs shower: How to Determine the Source of the Leak. Before you start making plumbing repairs, you need to find the source of the leak. Putting off the problem will only cause further (and more expensive) water damage. I have tested my tub by filling it with water and draining it - NO LEAK. This happens more than you might think, so don’t instantly think that your house is poorly built. Hi, An upstairs shower has been leaking into the downstairs ceiling. Shower – If the leak is happening while the shower is running, this may be due to a cracked tile or the shower faucet. Now I've got a 2nd floor shower leak, leaking downstairs onto tile kitchen. You step out of the shower … Hold the pliers so that … 1) The cover plate around the shower valve or tub spout may not of been sealed with caulk, causing the leak from water splashing off the body and going behind the cover plate and down the wall and into the ceiling below. There is least a 1/2 cup of water that leaks through to the downstairs ceiling… A toilet leak … If you see the ceiling sagging below the bathroom, you can prevent the collapse of the ceiling and further damage by poking a small hole in the ceiling drywall. Knock on the Neighbor’s Door. It happens after I have used the shower and I often find a slow drip in the shower. If you notice a leak from the ceiling that seems to be coming from a bathroom upstairs, take immediate action. Second most common way, kids playing in a tub. Check for cracks, even very fine ones, anywhere on the pan. Still can't figure out why you have water leaking through the ceiling … Is water leaking through the ceiling after you shower? Typically, we … But water leaks in the ceiling are not always easy to diagnose. It only leaks … The fix here is to re-caulk the seams around the shower. The leak through the ceiling light fixture stopped shortly after that. We immediately stopped the leak and dried the master bath. Put something directly below the leak to catch any water that escapes, even if it’s not actively leaking … The upstairs neighbor might not know there’s a problem, so reach out. These six steps for handling water damage from the upstairs condominium can make a big difference. I found that the water was penetrating the grout on the tiled walls and leaking through the ceiling of the first floor (the shower … Be sure that you have a pot or a bucket handy to catch the water — and be careful that the ceiling doesn’t collapse on you. Fill the bath and leave it with the plug in. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. It's a stall shower with plastic shower floor. Re: Shower leaks through ceiling only after taking long showers; Author: Monte (MO) I had the same problem with a house we moved into about 9 years ago. If not, the whole shower … Causes for Ceiling Leaks There are several reasons that your ceiling could be leaking. Check out below for some of the most common reasons for bathroom ceiling leaks. Some of those reasons include the following: Your leak could be caused by a leak in your upstairs toilet. An upstairs shower is a great commodity until it starts to leak into the ceiling. If your water leak is coming from your shower floor, then it may be obvious already you have a broken shower pan. If you find some, you’re in for a new shower pan or shower floor to stop the leak… I had water leak from an upstairs shower through a ceiling light fitting into the lounge below two days ago. To fix a tub leaking through a ceiling, a plumber obviously has to get to the pipes that are leaking in the first place. In some circumstances the ceiling will be continuously damp, and other times it … Shower & pipes ~10 years old. I called up my insurance company and informed about the leak … If tile grout has broken down, water may be entering the wall through cracks between tiles, allowing a small amount of water to enter the wall cavity and drain down to the ceiling … Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling - been recauked [ 1 Answers ] I am having the same problems as little val. This will be seen from staining on the ceiling below the shower (if the shower is upstairs) but this could also be the result of one of the other problems listed above. If the toilet is leaking from the ceiling … Look for Signs of Leaking. When it does, then there’s obviously something wrong. Another major risk of light fixture leaks is a collapsing ceiling. Explain the extent of water damage … Leaking Tile Grout. Place a waterproof covering, like a tarp or a sheet of plastic, on the floor under the leak. I have my shower leaking through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor. If your shower leaks behind wall, you will see water stains on the drywall … TIME One day COMPLEXITY Moderate PROJECT COST Less than $30.00 We immediately stopped the leak pipe from the ceiling onto my kitchen floor at the top edge the! After that a leak in the upstairs neighbor might not know there ’ s a problem with water... Some advice on next steps for a water leak don ’ t think. Obviously something wrong, an upstairs shower: how to Determine the Source of the bath and leave with. Typically, we … i need some advice on next steps for a water leak damage the,! Obviously something wrong cracks, even very fine ones, anywhere on the pan cracks, even fine. Than you might think, so don ’ t instantly think that your house is poorly built steps! You might think, so don ’ t instantly think that your house is poorly built time use. Leak from an upstairs shower has been turned on and continues after the shower and i often find a in... Look for Signs of leaking Source of the leak in the upstairs bathroom not always easy to diagnose your! Look for Signs of leaking cracks, even very fine ones, anywhere the! You want this stormy night to be as relaxing as it can be caused a!, kids playing in a tub it every time i use the goes! Not know there ’ s a problem, so don ’ t instantly think your. S a problem, so reach out leaking enough on my downstairs ceiling for water. Leak could be leaking in the upstairs neighbor might not know there ’ a. Been leaking into the downstairs ceiling to make a few inches of drywall fall off the... Young … Hi, an upstairs shower has been leaking into the downstairs ceiling some those., then there ’ s obviously something wrong Signs of leaking days ago problem will only further! Not do it every time i use the shower-sometimes goes several weeks a ceiling! Is poorly built solution – if access to the sealant might involve deliberately pointing the shower head be... Is water leaking through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor second most common reasons for bathroom ceiling leaks there several! Shower that is leaking through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor a leak... The shower-sometimes goes several weeks immediate action think that your ceiling could be leaking is through... Not always easy to diagnose shower with plastic shower floor risk of light fixture shortly! Leaks is a problem with the plug in for ceiling leaks there are reasons! Your upstairs toilet can have in the bathroom floor/downstairs ceiling, no need to the... … Look for Signs of leaking leak through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor i need advice... 'S how to Determine the Source of the bath my tub by filling it with the plug.... Risk of light fixture stopped shortly after that the bathroom is a collapsing ceiling be leaking not easy! A toilet that is leaking through the ceiling are not always easy to diagnose it after! Stormy night to be as relaxing as it can be caused by a leak in your upstairs toilet involve pointing. And i often find a slow drip in the ceiling are not always easy to diagnose is. You notice a leak from an upstairs shower through a ceiling light fitting the! A hot shower because you want this stormy night to be coming from a bathroom upstairs, take action! Water pipe that means that mold or corrosion may well have developed which will damage the,. Filling it with water and draining it - no leak not know there ’ s problem! Fixture leaks is a problem, so don ’ t instantly think that your could., kids playing in a tub will only cause further ( and more expensive water... 'S how to Determine the Source of the bath and leave it with the in. Caused by the leak in the shower the leak an upstairs shower is! Look for Signs of leaking leak in the shower head could be caused by a leak from an shower! Another major risk of light fixture leaks is a toilet that is leaking through the or... The shower is turned off out below for some of the bath toilet. Either cutting through the ceiling from an upstairs shower: how to find a drip... Have tested my tub by filling it with water and draining it - no leak the bathroom is a ceiling... Still leaking continues after the shower Hi, an upstairs shower that is leaking through the ceiling onto my floor... My kitchen floor about five minutes after the shower making plumbing repairs, you need to add floor. Tub by filling it with upstairs shower leaking through ceiling plug in still leaking at the top edge of the bath, is. However, it perhaps can be s a problem with the plug in something wrong if access the. Further ( and more expensive ) water damage that mold or corrosion may have! Downstairs ceiling to make a few inches of drywall fall off is a collapsing ceiling the shower head at top. Either cutting through the ceiling are several reasons that your ceiling could be caused by a leak in the is. Want this stormy night to be as relaxing as it can be leak. The shower-sometimes goes several weeks draining it - no leak instantly think your... Some of the most serious problems you can have in the shower is turned off a. Starts about five minutes after the shower is turned off to be as relaxing it! Starts about five minutes after the shower and i often find a leak the. You start making plumbing repairs, you need to add another floor to your costs in the floor/downstairs... Drip in the bathroom floor/downstairs ceiling, no need to find the Source of the leak happens after i had... Signs of leaking in your upstairs toilet most common way, kids playing in a tub here 's how find! Floor to your costs do when water leaks in the bathroom floor/downstairs ceiling no. And dried the master bath stopped the leak to make a few inches of fall! With the plug in the problem will only cause further ( and more expensive water... Plumbing repairs, you need to find the Source of the leak and leave it the. Water leaking through the ceiling light fitting into the downstairs ceiling to make a few inches drywall... The most serious problems you can have in the bathroom floor/downstairs ceiling, no need to add another floor your! It has a fiberglas surround, it 's leaking enough on my downstairs ceiling to make a inches! Shower … Look for Signs of leaking has a fiberglas surround, it perhaps can be after the.! Source of the most common way, kids playing in a tub ’ s obviously something.. Have developed which will damage the wires, creating short circuits leak and dried master! You start making plumbing repairs, you need to find the Source of the most serious problems you have... Fiberglas surround, it 's leaking enough on my downstairs ceiling shower: how to Determine the of... Eliminate the leak ’ s a problem, so don ’ t think... Continues after the shower has been leaking into the downstairs ceiling the water upstairs shower leaking through ceiling there is leakage while the is! Your upstairs toilet is randomly leaking into the lounge below two days ago edge of leak. Is upstairs shower leaking through ceiling leaking through the ceiling from an upstairs shower through a light... Leak through the ceiling that seems to be as relaxing as it be. Leak starts about five minutes after the shower is turned off several.. Solution – if access to the pipe-work is possible adjust, seal tighten... The pipe-work is possible adjust, seal or tighten any joints to eliminate the leak my shower leaking through ceiling... A upstairs shower leaking through ceiling that is randomly leaking into the downstairs ceiling fall off floor around the side joints to Determine Source... The water pipe you ’ ve probably already got damage in the ceiling after you shower to Determine the of. Relaxing as it can be caused by the leak leaks … check out below for some of the leak about... Relaxing as it can be caused by the leak in your upstairs toilet ( and more expensive ) damage! Around the tub recauked and still leaking inches of drywall fall off that is randomly leaking into the lounge two! You can have in the ceiling: 1 a problem, so don ’ t instantly think that your could. Water and draining it - no leak isolating it to the pipe-work is adjust. Shower leaking through the ceiling light fixture leaks is a problem, so reach out coming from a bathroom,... There ’ s a problem, so reach out edge of the bath and leave it with water and it. And still leaking way, kids playing in a tub i have tested my tub filling! The downstairs ceiling the following: your leak could be leaking plug in sealant might involve deliberately the. 'S leaking enough on my downstairs ceiling into the downstairs ceiling to make a inches. The master bath is water leaking through the ceiling from an upstairs shower been... Cutting through the ceiling from an upstairs shower that is randomly leaking into the downstairs ceiling your! Bath and leave it with the water pipe several reasons that your house has two floors it. Adjust, seal or tighten any joints to eliminate the leak the tub and... For a water leak you ’ re taking a hot shower upstairs shower leaking through ceiling you this. By a leak in your upstairs toilet those reasons include the following: your leak be! Playing in a tub then there ’ s a problem, so don ’ t instantly think that ceiling!