Slide the square up, and carefully align the tread dimension with where the riser line below intersects the edge of the stringer. Both pieces attach directly to the original wood staircase, after any carpeting or other finished flooring has been removed. (Includes 1 Stair Riser), Black baked powder coating The easiest way to build a solid and lasting staircase. Step on up Ah the dreaded route memorization issue – why steps always have 7” risers & 10” wide treads except for the bottom one & top… Add the thickness of the finished floor to the riser if the flooring isn’t installed. With a one-piece design, Peak's Stair Risers are easy to assemble, with no difficult cuts or separate stringers required. It automatically allows for the desired tread overhang and accommodates stairs up to 14 inches deep and 53 inches wide. Using a 10-in. Sorry I was wrong with my Throat depth on my stringers. (see picture above), Route memorization is bad, especially the 7/10 one – you have to do the math.  My stair treads are 48” wide but with an overhang of 5.5” on each end I brought the unsupported span down to 37”. Code limits allow you to customize stairs for different situations that will ensure they remain safe and functional. Is the bottom step really the bottom step / do we need to remove some for the tread? The first one completed & the only one to nail it to the first day’s work. You can buy new tread slabs that are finished on one or both sides or that are just meant to be encased with a stringer on both sides. This stair would have five treads. Common nominal 12-in. The best systems use 100-percent hardwood materials, resulting in the look of traditional hardwood stairs. Building Deck Stairs with a Solid Stringer Cutting beyond the notch with the circular saw is faster, but it weakens the stringer. This was put in place here to help prevent any perceived favoritism, so I did not pull a tape on any these projects & am just going off the pictures) To lay out subsequent stringers, align the cut stringer with the edge of the stringer stock, and draw lines. Constructed from tubular steel and plate steel for the most safe and reliable design, these risers are made to outlast the elements and provide durable performance. While we ... For the bulk of the year, energy costs are not a big concern to many and instead most calls relate to comfort, safety or health issues. The STAIR WIZARD works by creating anexact template of each tread or riser including length, end angles, and depth. Protecting both the joist and the decking, especially wood decking. On the outer edges of the square, align the strip with the run dimension on one leg and the rise dimension on the other. When one is in a competition like this you need to make sure that you ask for clarification on items you might not be sure on. The run affects how far the stair projects overall, which affects how much floor space the stair occupies. x 10-1/4 in. Shallower stairs can impinge on this headroom. Watch this video to learn how to lay out accurate stair stringers. Pulling up the Carpet Cut the carpet with a utility knife under the lip of the top step. The International Residential Code (IRC) governs the maximum rise (the height of each step) and the minimum run (the depth of each step), which are 7-3/4 in. In case you have a calculator that is defaulted to 10, there is an easy fix – in my case I simply type in “11”, hit “inch”, followed by “CONV” & hit then the number 9 – now my default tread width it 11 inches instead of 10 until I change it or do a reset to default. Maximum 4-1/2 inch handrail projection into stairway width, on either side. With numerous “stair calculators” available, figuring rise and run dimensions is easy. When building your stairs, it usually works well to use two deck boards to build the stair tread. The nosing shall project no more than 1-1/2 inches (38 mm). An opened stringer implies the stair tread sits directly on the stringer and thus hides it. Cut staircases often have a stringer that has been laid in a "zig zag" pattern with the treads exposed at either end (they usually overhang the stringer).