Sofie Laguna might look like a newcomer in the ranks of Australia's top literary novelists, winning the 2015 Miles Franklin Literary Award on Tuesday with her second novel, The Eye of the Sheep. Sofie Laguna has been awarded the 2015 Miles Franklin literary award, Australia’s most prestigious books prize, for her novel The Eye of the Sheep. Rate it * You Rated it * 0. He never stops talking, repeating phrases and questions over and over again driving other people mad. I LOVED this book. Do you believe that this item violates a copyright? This book should be impossibly bleak, but Laguna has managed to imbue it with luminosity. What does Sofie Laguna’s The Eye of the Sheep, named as the winner of the Miles Franklin Award last week, share with Great Expectations and To Kill … Emotions are complicated for the Flicks. It had no suspenseful revealing of dark secrets, no romance, no psychopaths and no mind-twisting whodunnits. This novel explores,through the voice of a young boy on the Autism spectrum, a fairly harrowing family environment. Through the eyes and voice of Jimmy, Sofie Laguna explores the many facets of family in The Eye of the Sheep. Such depth of description and analysis of thoughts and actions became tiring. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. The Eye of the Sheep. I found it almost too intense to be enjoyable. I like this book, but I don't love it. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Click here to check your local store’s opening hours. SOFIE LAGUNA, THE EYE OF THE SHEEP students to use this text as a way into discussions about issues with real-world relevance in the safe space of the classroom. The Eye of the Sheep is a 2014 novel by Australian novelist Sofie Laguna which won the 2015 Miles Franklin Award. This award winning tome is a heartbreakingly sad but incredibly honest, and beautiful vision of the state of families that share their abode with alcohol and domestic violence. I watched the waves as they rolled and crashed towards us, one after another, Sofie Laguna’s first novel One Foot Wrong received rave reviews, sold all over the world and was longlisted for the Miles Franklin Literary Award and shortlisted for the Prime Minister’s Literary Award. Allen & Unwin; Main edition (July 23, 2014), Reviewed in the United States on April 26, 2019. The Eye of the Sheep: Laguna, Sofie: Amazon.nl Selecteer uw cookievoorkeuren We gebruiken cookies en vergelijkbare tools om uw winkelervaring te verbeteren, onze services aan te bieden, te begrijpen hoe klanten onze services gebruiken zodat we verbeteringen … I’m not sure if ASD kids have hypersensitivity but the way Laguna’s written Jimmy’s awareness of (and connectedness with) the world is just amazing. I’m kicking myself, bought this and then got distracted by the next ‘pretty’ and then overwhelmed with review books. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Like Yin and Yang, … Sofie Laguna does a brilliant job developing Jimmy's character throughout the book as well as portraying his extremely positive and warm relationship with his mother. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Jimmy lives with his family and provides description of life from his perspective. I can only apologise I didn’t read it sooner. * Adelaide Advertiser * A beautiful, sombre style, relieved by occasional happy-go-lucky moments and strangely surprising resilience... Laguna has vividly brought to life what it must be like to be a different child and the effect his condition can have on a family. Buy The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna online at Alibris. p.38. Born. I hadn’t attempted Sofie Laguna’s The Eye of the Sheep because I assumed it was a book that wouldn’t appeal. Issues such as family violence, depression and the day-to-day struggles of a working class household are on display… and portrayed as complex multi-dimensional subjects. In case you didn’t guess from my gushy introduction. Savannah Indigo works as a bookseller at Readings Malvern. It is a tale that is beautifully written; it is also incredibly original. * Guardian * It is outrageous that someone as young, beautiful and - goddamit - as happy looking as Sofie Laguna has written this wee beauty of a novel... As a "domestic" novel, it could be cliched, but Laguna, through Jimmy's wonderful eyes, makes every sentence, every word, sing and soar. Her first novel for adults, One Foot Wrong, was nominated for the Miles Franklin Literary Award and the Prime Minister's Literary Award for Fiction. She has been published in the US and the UK and in translation in Europe and Asia. In The Eye of the Sheep, her great originality and talent will again amaze and A very clever and well written book, the premise of the little boy counting sheep to calm and ground himself so he could sleep became an all too frequent habit as his life spiralled out of control, through no fault of his own. Sat, Dec 10, 2016, 00:00. Hello Select your address Best Sellers Today's Deals New Releases Electronics Books Customer Service Gift Ideas Home Computers Gift Cards Subscribe and save Coupons Sell Today's Deals New Releases Electronics Books Customer Service Gift Ideas Home Computers Gift Cards Subscribe and save Coupons Sell The Eye of the Sheep, Sofie Laguna: four and a half stars. I loved this book as well (and, side note, love both of Favel Parrett’s books). Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Search. I didn’t cry. Buy The Eye of the Sheep by Laguna, Sofie, Andronicos, Nikos online on Amazon.ae at best prices. Laguna pulls no punches in sharing the family’s ups and downs. I had the great pleasure of hearing Laguna speak at this year’s Melbourne Writers Festival. There is an abundance of love but so too is there an abundance of violence. Notably, Laguna is an actor as well as a writer and she said when “finding her voice”, it is always through a character that is a child. Meet Jimmy Flick. An extraordinary and powerful story told from the point of view of a remarkable boy. To say it is an enjoyable read is to undermine its subject. A slow start, but a very powerful insight into living with autism. Sofie worked for a number of years as an actor at the same time as completing a Diploma in Professional Writing and Editing at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. Loved it even though the sadness and hopelessness permeated the whole book. Everyday low prices on a huge range of new releases and classic fiction. Sofie has written the screenplay for the film of One Foot Wrong, scheduled for pre-production in 2014. 1 Star - I hated it 2 Stars - I didn't like it 3 Stars - It was OK 4 Stars - I liked it 5 Stars - … As with The Choke, The Eye of the Sheep is a heavy, deeply affecting book that depicts the intersection between … In The Eye of the Sheep, her great originality and talent will again amaze and move readers. Jimmy's teenage brother Robby loves him too and takes him out to the wasteland next door to play games, however Jimmy's Dad has difficulty coping with Jimmy when he spins out of control or won't stop talking. When I read “Past the Shallows,” I could barely speak for days – such was the power of her writing. Please try again. I was so wrong because what it has can not be categorised into a genre or a cheesy label, it is in fact a thing of beauty. I also loved it and Favel Parrett’s books. The activities below include a significant section on understanding characters, as these are key to engaging with this extraordinary text. Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2016. ‘Sofie Laguna has perfected the voice of a child. Having read The Choke previously, where a young girl with acute dyslexia was our hero, in The Eye of the Sheep, we have a young boy with autism who is our hero. * Australian Bookseller and Publisher * Jimmy is a tour de force of a character, brilliantly maintained... Laguna's great skill is in conveying the contradictory human depths in all her characters. It is so much more than a beautifully told story about a boy, it's like a piece of music you get swept up in the art. The author skilfully deals with other complex issues that affect the family such as alcoholism and domestic violence. No suspenseful revealing of deep dark secrets, no psychopaths (well, Liam comes to mind) and no mind-twisting whodunnits. It burns right at the back of the head and it never goes out, no matter what happens to the sheep. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. It’s  a story about a boy. It’s very much deserved. Even though I'd bought it a while ago, I did not read Sofie Laguna’s The Eye of the Sheep immediately, despite the glowing reviews, as I assumed it was a book that wouldn’t appeal. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. I’m not justifying domestic violence but his parents (and older brother Robby) retreat into their own coping mechanisms. She has written the screenplay for the film of One Foot Wrong and her second novel, The Eye of the Sheep, won the 2015 Miles Franklin Literary Award. A book that stays with you long after you have finished. Jimmy's Mum loves him dearly and knows how to help him calm down. Your ‘gushing’ is just the nudge I needed to push this one to the top of the list … thanks Deb. I can only apologise I didn’t read it sooner. Writing a novel using the voice of a child with autism requires a sensitive knowledge of this complex condition; a sensitivity remarkably lacking in the school system experienced by the child. In The Eye of the Sheep, her great originality and talent will again amaze and move readers. Every other baby knows how. It is only Paula who can keep Jimmy out of his father’s way. Something went wrong. He alone has to navigate the unfathomable world and make things right. I do hope it’s going to get a US edition soon. A tragic outcome and so terribly sad. But when Jimmy’s world falls apart, he has no one else to turn to. Jimmy's behavior suggests he is on the autistic spectrum. I appreciated Paula’s reticence to have her son diagnosed or labelled; but wondered if that was as much for his father’s benefit as anything… given his occasional drunk ‘retard’ comments. Browser review. I hope it gets released there Lory – as I said – it won the ‘best fiction of the year’ prize here, which is great. I had to stop myself doing it in The Eye of the Sheep because I was folding over corner after corner. The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna was published in Australia in August 2014 by Allen & Unwin. Reading Sofie Laguna in reverse, I am struck by how effortlessly she inhabits the voice of children that lie on the fringes of society, children no one pays any attention to. I couldn't put it down and feel bereft now that I've finished. This is a beautifully told story of Jimmy Flick, a little boy with behavioral problems, and his dysfunctional family. The Eye of the Sheep By Sofie Laguna Allen & Unwin ISBN: 9781743319598, Aug 2014, 320 pages, paperback. I’m planning to have a break from reviewing and will borrow (or buy if I’m feeling rich) some books which I’ve missed over the past few years. Sofie Laguna originally studied to be a lawyer at the University of New South Wales, but after deciding law was not for her, she moved to Melbourne to train as an actor. The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna was published in Australia in August 2014 by Allen & Unwin. Written in the voice of a child that has asperger's/autism, I was gobsmacked at how real it felt. It may take a while for the reader to determine the book’s narrator, but when they do, the value of the reading experience goes up several notches. The Eye of the Sheep: Laguna, Sofie, Andronicos, Nikos: Amazon.nl Selecteer uw cookievoorkeuren We gebruiken cookies en vergelijkbare tools om uw winkelervaring te verbeteren, onze services aan te bieden, te begrijpen hoe klanten onze services gebruiken zodat we verbeteringen kunnen aanbrengen, en om advertenties weer te geven. I think I need a break, although I had an unofficial review break last week, I still stressed over what I should have been posting. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. When he can't sleep at night because his cells are spinning too fast his Mum helps him count sheep and he imagines staring into the eye of the sheep and finding calmness. And though I don’t have children or know a lot about kids who are Autistic (present with ASD  or Asperger’s syndrome) I did wonder if a diagnosis and additional support may have helped Jimmy and his family. I love that Laguna doesn’t feel compelled to give Jimmy’s learning issues a label. Sofie's first novel for adults, One Foot Wrong, was also published throughout Europe, the United States and the United Kingdom. I received … Nevertheless Jimmy is a delight. Her books for young people have been named Honour Books and Notable Books in the Children's Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards and have been shortlisted in the Queensland Premier's Awards. ... as happy-looking as Sofie Laguna has written this wee beauty of a novel. Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book. Reviewed in the United States on November 10, 2015. Hi, I’m Deborah… a seachanger living on Australia’s Fraser Coast, in Queensland. The Eye of the Sheep is… He finds a lot of the adult world impossible to understand – especially why his Dad gets so angry with him. Oh I hadn’t known she was an actor. A true success and I look forward to reading her future novels. p.305. It’s very much deserved. He knows everything and he knows nothing. For details, please see the Terms & Conditions associated with these promotions. And his family. Does this book contain inappropriate content? Not necessarily with Jimmy and his family, but with the words, the phrases and the writing. I’ll read them (and add them to Goodreads so I can remember in the months to come that I’ve read them) but skip the review. The Eye of the Sheep from Dymocks online bookstore. What The Eye of the Sheep is, is a Heartbreakingly sad at points, but it ends on a positive note. She teaches him how to count sheep so that he can fall sleep. This is a story about how to find your place in the world and how to accept what you have been given. Reviewed in the United States on April 19, 2016. It had no suspenseful revealing of dark secrets, no romance, no psychopaths and no mind-twisting whodunnits. She holds him tight enough to stop his cells spinning. I didn’t know where crying started. Unique, forceful and absolutely hypnotic... Fresh, honest writing. Shop now. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. It had no suspenseful revealing of dark secrets, no romance, no psychopaths and no mind-twisting whodunnits. Australian author Sofie Laguna’s second novel for adults, The Eye of the Sheep, won the Miles Franklin Award on 23 June. American Dirt: THE SUNDAY TIMES AND NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER, An extraordinary achievement. Does this book contain quality or formatting issues? After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. I never had, even when I was born and wanted to cry because I didn’t yet know words to say what it was to be parted from my mum in that way. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Please try again. Rosita Sweetman. I’m thinking of taking a reviewing break over Xmas and reading a heap of books I’ve missed over the past few years. Jimmy's position is a difficult one, borne out of troubles beyond his grasp, but Jimmy has much to tell and a power to surprise us all. Amazing writing. (It reminded me of Missing You by Kylie Kaden in that sense.) The Eye of the Sheep will break your heart – a small price to pay to hear Jimmy’s story. ABOUT THE AUTHOR SOFIE LAGUNA originally studied I tend to think of myself as a literary heathen preferring the oft-maligned (so-called) middle-brow and my usual thriller / suspense / crime fiction genre as opposed to (big L) Literature. It was a heartbreaking read but a wonderful book that I would recommend to anyone who loves good writing. The book was deeply sad and although it ended satisfactorily for the protagonist, it left me with a lingering heaviness. -- Jo Case * Big Issue on One Foot Wrong * Laguna's child narrator both emphasises and conceals, through simple yet articulate images, the complicated extent of suffering and release. All Victorian stores are now open! In The Eye of the Sheep, her great originality and talent will again amaze and There are no bells and whistles simply added for effect. I cried a lot and I suspect some of those tears were as much about the beauty of the words as what was unfolding through them. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, includes free international wireless delivery via, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. I expected to be bored and yet, when I finally got around to reading it – more than a year after its release – I fell in love. I think the book achieves its aim of highlighting the issues a child like Jimmy with special issues faces every day. Amazingly told, a story that reaches the heart and makes it rise and fall through a chronicle of Jimmy's life over several years. I thought this book was brilliant, but it did take me a while to get into it. Sofie Laguna is particularly adept at writing childrens’ voices through pain. This was a fascinating book. A beautifully and sensitively written book which allows the reader to ... A beautifully and sensitively written book which allows the reader to identify easily and strongly with the central character, Jimmy from the first page. It's set in Melbourne's west, and it uncovers the raw heart of a dysfunctional family. In One Foot Wrong it was Hester Wakefield who gave us her luminous voice through a … I note Laguna also writes for kids and the voice she gives to Jimmy (at 6 and 12) is genuine and insightful It’s obviously shaped by his abilities and occasional lack of comprehension and this offers we readers an amazingly objective view of his world. If you look deep into the eye of a sheep you can see a light. BUT MOST OF ALL, THIS BOOK IS BRILLIANT!!!!! Sofie Laguna's first novel One Foot Wrong received rave reviews, sold all over the world and was longlisted for the Miles Franklin Literary Award and shortlisted for the Prime Minister's Literary Award. The Eye of the Sheep won the Miles Franklin Literary Award – Australia’s top fiction prize. It was a well-deserved win of Australia’s richest literary prize by a book that manages to be both compelling and heart-breaking within a potentially unprepossessing frame. Unable to add item to List. I hate having to stop reading to write notes so now dog-ear pages. I didn’t know how. Then turn the page, “Oh, no… this one.” Rinse repeat. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 5, 2017. When they cry the tears block out the memory, but I didn’t know how, even in the first seconds outside the membrane. Fiction The Eye of the Sheep SOFIE LAGUNAAllen & Unwin, $29.99. What an incredible view into complex and troubled lives. Am yet to read any Liane Moriarty and really want to catch up on some John Sandford and Robert B Parker’s (Ace Atkins’) Spenser! We have new and used copies available, in 2 editions - starting at $5.06. The Eye of the Sheep is a dark tale told with perfection.’ – Culture Street ‘truthful and beautiful.’ – Newcastle Herald ‘Jimmy is a tour de force of a character, brilliantly maintained…Laguna’s great skill is in conveying … I’m most impressed by books that can take us into the minds and hearts of characters who see the world in a different way. Living in his own world which involves its own challenges including ?Aspbergers or maybe Autism and his violent dysfunctional alcoholic father his mother tries her hardest to keep him level whilst battling a husband whose violence can spiral out of control at any time particularly when he starts drinking. When I’m writing reviews I go back to those pages to remind myself of something in the plot, or an example of some beautiful writing. Please try again. Although there is a sombre theme running throughout the book, there are some lovely light hearted sections as well such as when Jimmy goes on holiday with his father. I checked out her site for any interviews – was wondering about her experience with ASD kids etc – but couldn’t see any there. Reviewed in the United States on June 14, 2016. “Oh, I need to share this quote,” I’d think. These promotions will be applied to this item: Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Hester's voice is original and compelling...compels us to see our familiar world as new and intriguing - no small feat. Share your thoughts Complete your review. I had intended to write a blog post about the talk… *sigh* haven’t had a chance but really should because she said some terrific things that gave great insight into this book. What a wonderful, heartfelt review of what sounds like a terrific book. I write about books and life in general. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Recommended! Please try your request again later. --This text refers to an alternate, Sofie Laguna originally studied to be a lawyer, but after deciding law was not for her, she trained as an actor. Amazing writing. Complex troubled lives, compellingly told, Reviewed in the United States on October 30, 2015. Sophie Laguna is a amazing writer. * Irish Times * PaperBack by Sofie Laguna, Sofie Laguna. Sofie Laguna is an author, actor and playwright. Last year my breath was literally taken away by the beauty that was Favel Parrett’s When the Night Comes. Even though I'd bought it a while ago, I did not read Sofie Laguna’s The Eye of the Sheep immediately, despite the glowing reviews, as I assumed it was a book that wouldn’t appeal. Of interest is whether much of what happens in Jimmy’s family would have happened anyway, or is exacerbated by Jimmy’s behaviour. The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna. About the Author Sofie Laguna originally studied to be a lawyer, but after deciding law was not for her, she trained as an actor. From The Eye of the Sheep. Enter your email address to subscribe to Debbish and receive notifications of new posts. Buy The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna from Amazon's Fiction Books Store. He has his collection of manuals for the household equipment and loves working out how things connect. Margot McGovern reviews The Eye of the Sheep (Allen & Unwin) by Sofie Laguna. Share this: Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) Related. Its pacing is slow. I cried a lot and I suspect some of those tears were as much about the beauty of the words as what was magically unfolding through the story. This book was totally engaging and never once slipped out of its viewpoint, while managing to convey a story way beyond the understanding of the protagonist. Their sad and beautiful story felt very real. Every time the child spoke I saw the renowned pianist David Heathcote or rather the actor Geoffrey Rush playing the part of David Heathcote. * Guardian on One Foot Wrong * A book that intrigues and affects every essence of your humanity... A dark and terrible tale told in lyrical, poetic language and stark imagery. Sofie Laguna's first novel One Foot Wrong received rave reviews, sold all over the world and was longlisted for the Miles Franklin Literary Award and shortlisted for the Prime Minister's Literary Award.