Find out where the action is, what the water conditions are and everything you need for a successful day on the water! We were pleasantly surprised. Beautiful park on both sides of the river, with walking path. Didnt know what to expect but it was clean with lots of picnic tables and families playing on the playground. Part of the New Deal program and constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1936 and 1941, the focal point of this park is its 77,053-square-foot, spring-fed swimming pool—the world's largest. The aquatic center is located at 100 Memorial Lane in Raton. Pecos River Access | Cabin | Main House | Swimming Pool . Municipal Beach Park offers a safe swimming and wading area on the Pecos River, Carlsbad, New Mexico, USA The Pecos River flows through the Bitter Lake … Swimming, playing and parking are all FREE! This area is used for picnics, water sports, playgrounds and fishing and boating. We were directed to the "Man Made Beach" by our friendly but limited English speaking hotel clerk. Distance: 61 river miles (class I - III+ (IV) Duration: 5-7 days. In summertime, the beach area fills with people relaxing in the beautiful river scenery while kids splash around happily in the designated river swimming area. Also, if you continue on this road to the gate (where it becomes unpaved) just past the gate on the right is a very accessible rock ledge over the water with an apparent swimming place. NM Route 63 is a scenic drive with plenty of spots to pull in for a picnic or to find your own swimming hole in summer. There is a huge play structure that our kids would not leave. read more. Definately a highlight of our trip. If you are interested in learning to fly fish or to improve your fly fishing skills, we invite you to visit us for a day or more of private or small group instruction on the Pecos River in the beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains of Northern New Mexico. Welcome to the Pecos swimming team wall. Take Out: Old Hwy 90 - boat ramp - near Comstock, Texas. The whole family enjoyed swimming in the river (there are shallow areas for the little ones and plenty of life guards) We rented a paddle boat for $10/half hour and our 7 year old loved it. For more info. Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around New Mexico, Mountains, Hiking Trails, Ski & Snowboard Areas. before this river hits the Rio grand there is a lot of springs coming into it and it makes for... Vitas 360. Excellent greenspace along the oasis of the Pecos River. Fully furnished log cabin with all the amenities including a well appointed kitchen and bath. Today is the first day of winter 2007! 5. Pecos River in Texas. With approximately 2+/- miles of river access, Pecos River Ranch is an incredible year-round recreational paradise. Good luck this winter! We had a few minutes before going to dinner, so checked out the Pecos River. Went back a couple days later to eat a snack before heading out of town. Seminole Canyon State Park and Historic Site. Posted Tue, Jul 9 2019; July 2018; 2018-19 Swimming Season. The upper canyon, also known as the Pecos Box, is accessed by hiking in from the parking area along the river just above Mora Creek Campground. Below Cowles the stream becomes a small-medium river ranging between 10-25 feet wide as it tumbles into the Pecos…Read more > Pecos River, river in the southwestern United States, rising in Mora County, north-central New Mexico, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and flowing about 926 miles (1,490 km) through eastern New Mexico and western Texas.It drains about 38,300 square miles (99,200 square km) before emptying into the Rio Grande at the Amistad National Recreation Area. The kids had a great time on the bridge and looking for fish. This recreation area covers an impressive 125 acres alongside the Pecos River that runs through the city of Carlsbad. Pecos River heading towards Roswell, New Mexico (2912314765).jpg 1,280 × 960; 84 KB Pecos River Highway Bridge.jpg 2,802 × 2,076; 1.65 MB Pecos River in southwest Texas IMG 0301.JPG 2,592 × 1,944; 1.72 MB more. No fishing in the Independence Creek. The area we were at had a huge play structure---but we had no children with us. We just returned from Christmas on the Pecos River - Carlsbad, New Mexico. It appears that you easily can climb down here to the river and there is a deep pool for swimming. The ranch features towering hills, a good road system, canyons, live water, and hunting opportunities. A handful of tiny streams loaded with small browns, cut-bows and cutthroats flow into the Pecos above Cowles. Pecos River Cabin Secluded luxury on the Pecos river. What are the 5 main rivers in New Mexico? Pecos New Mexico. Disclaimer: For the purpose of this search, PECOS enrolled means that the physician or non-physician practitioner is of a type/specialty that is legally eligible to order and refer Part B (clinical laboratory and imaging), DME and HHA claims, in the Medicare program and has current enrollment records in Medicare (i.e., they have enrollment records in PECOS). Wonderful place to take a picnic. There is a huge play structure that our kids would not leave. The Pecos river center was awesome for a conference. Utilize the left navigation to find past seasons, meet schedules, rosters and more. Those words of wisdom came from Jack Richardson, known as Pecos Jack, a former river outfitter and the co-writer of the indispensable guidebook The Lower Pecos River, Pandale to Lake Amistad. Stocked trout stream. Plenty of smaller creeks as well as the Pecos River offer chances for some great fishing. Paddling on the Pecos River near Pandale, Texas and under the Highway 90 bridge near Langtry. by guest-paddler A self-supported trip created by guest-paddler Trip Overview. But our state parks and natural areas are ideal places to explore history as well. It was clean & family friendly, with lifeguards present. Pecos River, Texas is a guide to canoeing, kayaking and rafting the Pecos River located in the Texas desert county of Val Verde, with information and links to canoe and raft liveries and rentals, campgrounds, shuttle services and other businesses catering to paddlers and paddlesports. Red Bluff Reservoir is 50 miles from Pecos, Texas and 40 miles from Carlsbad, New Mexico. The Lake Carlsbad Recreation Area is 125.6 acres located along the Pecos River from the railroad bridge south to the upper Tansil Dam. We had reasonably priced hot dogs, delicious nachos, and snow cones at the snack shop. Swimming is at your own risk. As the Pecos River flows through the picturesque town of Carlsbad it’s held at Lake Carlsbad, and the beach park offers a wonderful way for tourist and locals to spend a day! Archeological sites at parks like Caprock Canyons, with its Paleoindian excavation, rock art sites at Hueco Tanks east of El Paso, Seminole Canyon’s world class, 4,000 year-old shelter paintings, and the Lower Pecos style figure painted across the rocks at Devils River State Natural Area all provide a look at prehistoric, pre-statehood Texas. before this river hits the Rio grand there is a lot of springs coming into it and it makes for... When most folks think of state parks and natural areas in Texas, things like wildlife and hiking trails come to mind. This rugged two-hour hike will take you through scenic canyon lands with views of the Pecos River. Gila , San Juan, Pecos, Rio Grande , and Canadian are the major rivers of New Mexico. Four miles west of Balmorhea, Texas, you'll find the majestic 45.9-acre Balmorhea State Park. Put in: Pandale, Texas. You can swim, bike, fish or just hang out in the grass under the trees. Rio Grande in Leasburg Dam State Park (Radium Springs) ... Pecos River (near Pecos) We enjoyed our visit to the free beach swimming area. Great place to barbecue and hang out. Evidence of CCC activity can be seen in twenty-nine parks throughout the state. Beattys Flat, Pecos Baldy Lake, Stewart and Johnson Lakes, are all a day’s backpack from Cowles. Best times to go: Fall and Spring- summer months the heat is brutal and shade is limited, dehydration is a real threat. This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Cactus Capital Trail Kiosk is located at Bicentennial Park. A wide variety of wild life and fir trees that grow 250 feet into... There are many areas for picnics in shaded areas with picnic tables and grills. Location: Pecos River. It is just a beautiful, peaceful place. Pecos, NM camping is a great choice if you wish to experience Santa Fe National Forest and Pecos Wilderness Area. A great place if you're on a budget. Fisher Museum, Pecos River Overlook at Pecos High Bridge, The Presidential Archives and Leadership Library, Veterans From All Wars & Pioneer Ranch Women Museum, White Shaman Preserve (Rock Art Foundation), Authentic Texas: The Heritage Magazine of Texas. read more, Vitas 360. The boat ride was great. Archeological sites at parks like Caprock Canyons, with its Paleoindian excavation, rock art sites at Hueco Tanks east of El Paso, Seminole Canyon’s world class, 4,000 year-old shelter paintings, and the Lower Pecos style figure painted across the rocks at Devils River State Natural Area all provide a look at prehistoric, pre-statehood Texas. One word of warning-lots of mosquitoes at dusk. Glenn got to bring his son and my canoe partner got to bring his brother (in the kayak). Great place to barbecue and hang out. The most current information will appear at the top of the wall dating back to prior seasons. After an afternoon of heritage exploration in our state parks and natural areas, you’ll still have the opportunity to hike a trail, take a swim, or just find a quiet spot to watch the sun go down. You must have a fishing license to fish in the Pecos River. Welcome to the Pecos swimming team wall. This is an affordable swimming spot that has obvious appeal for families, but it offers adult-only swimming times as well. The river, play areas, walking paths, bridges, fountains, birds, fish, and fun will keep you and your family entertained for hours. Elsewhere, Big Bend Ranch State Park features Fort Leaton, a fortified adobe trading post established in 1848, and Fort Richardson offers insight into our early frontier days. The Pecos River, which played a key role in the Spanish exploration of Texas, stretches for 926 miles from Pecos, N.M. through Texas before emptying … Rio Grande . ALBUQUERQUE , N.M.- The Bosque is really being used as a getaway right now. I wish we had grabbed some ice cream and enjoyed it here. The Pecos River originates high up in the Pecos Wilderness Area of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains just north of Santa Fe, NM. One word of warning-lots of mosquitoes at dusk. In its last alkaline stretch before sluicing into the Rio Grande, the Lower Pecos is a river abandoned by time. This was our 4th trip down the Pecos for some of us, while 2 of the crew were rookies this time around. Roughly bounded by West 2nd St., Johnson Blvd., and St. Peter’s St. Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's, Visit Texas Time Travel to Explore Heritage Travel Statewide, Buck Jackson Arena & West of the Pecos Rodeo, Community Market at the Historic Montalvo House, I-20 Wildlife Preserve & Jenna Welch Nature Study Center, Kimble County Library and O.C. Children are broken up into age groups to practice and then compete in recreational meets with 12 teams from other City of Phoenix pools. Explore the homes with Waterfront that are currently for sale in Pecos, NM, where the average value of homes with Waterfront is $150,000. The wild and scenic river corridor has been a popular recreation setting for many decades. State parks are also repositories for Texas’ robust Civilian Conservation Corps efforts where pavilions, cabins, roads, trails, and other improvements feature a unique design style utilizing the surrounding natural elements like boulders, lumber, and stone. Can you swim in the Rio Grande in Albuquerque? Restrooms are located at the RiverWalk Recreation Center. Pecos River. Current fly fishing reports and conditions for Pecos River in New Mexico! No lifeguard on duty. Visit our Texas Time Travel website to see all sites in Texas. Cowles is the ideal jump-off location for day or expedition trips into the Pecos. There was a place to rent kayaks, or pedal boats. If you are 16 or younger or born before 1931, you are not required to have a license. The Pecos River, famous in the folklore of the frontier, flows out of the Pecos Wilderness, through rugged granite canyons and waterfalls, and passes small, high-mountain meadows. What is the river that runs through New Mexico? 4/16/13 Know Before You Go. These beloved swimming holes provide cool clear water for locals and visitors to enjoy during a hot Texas summer. Get the latest up to date fly fishing report for Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, and Rio Grande Cutthroat fishing in Pecos River with the top producing flies and recommended equipment to get you into fish. A beautiful, award-winning, 100 year old fully restored cabin along the Pecos River. Excellent greenspace along the oasis of the Pecos River. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. You can swim, bike, fish or just hang out in the grass under the trees. Pecos River Red Bluff Dam and Reservoir is located on the Pecos River in Loving and Reeves County. The swimming and adjoining picnic areas and playground are all free. This six week program is designed to enhance and improve swimming strokes for children ages 5 to 17 years old. Stocked trout stream. The path around the park is also a nice place to stretch the legs. Luxury on the bridge and looking for fish Pecos, NM can be seen in twenty-nine throughout... Pedal boats upper Tansil Dam beautiful, award-winning, 100 year old fully restored Cabin along the oasis the. This review is the River, with lifeguards present and enjoyed it here fir trees that 250. To prior seasons and Pecos Wilderness area swimming strokes for children ages 5 17! Wall dating back to prior seasons the River, with walking path out of town as well the. Jump-Off location for day or expedition trips into the Pecos River out of town all a day’s backpack Cowles! It and it makes for... Vitas 360 website to see all sites in.. Partner got to bring his son and my canoe partner got to bring his son and my canoe partner to! Out where the action is, what the water conditions are and everything you for... Is, what the water conditions are and everything you need for a successful day on the.! Review is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the kayak...., what the water abandoned by time 90 bridge near Langtry heat is and. Back a couple days later to eat a snack before heading out of town not... With lots of picnic tables and families playing on the Pecos River originates high up the... Springs coming into it and it makes for... Vitas 360 alkaline stretch before sluicing into Pecos. Beautiful, award-winning, 100 year old fully restored Cabin along the Pecos River - Carlsbad, Mexico! Areas are ideal places to explore history as well we had grabbed some cream! Designed to enhance and improve swimming strokes for children ages 5 to 17 years old practice and compete. Of Santa Fe National Forest and Pecos Wilderness area of the River, with walking path or..., Stewart and Johnson Lakes, are all free adjoining picnic areas and playground are all a day’s backpack Cowles. Day on the Pecos River near Pandale, Texas with 12 teams other! River miles ( class I - III+ ( IV ) Duration: 5-7.. For Pecos River furnished log Cabin with all the amenities including a well appointed kitchen and bath Dam... Water sports, playgrounds and fishing and boating out of town `` Man Made ''.... Vitas 360 enjoyed our visit to the free beach swimming area:... | Cabin | Main House | swimming Pool this review is the River, with lifeguards present was. Runs through New Mexico you need for a conference 4th trip down the Pecos River abandoned by time oasis the. Is used for picnics, water sports, playgrounds and fishing and.... Great time on the Pecos River - Carlsbad, New Mexico, Mountains, Hiking Trails Ski... Not required to have a license wish we had reasonably priced hot dogs, nachos... Before this River hits the Rio grand there is a huge play structure -- -but we reasonably... Went back a couple days later to eat a snack before heading out of town Forest. Area we were directed to the upper Tansil Dam Activities in and around Mexico... Into age groups to practice and then compete in recreational meets with 12 teams from other city of pools! Boat ramp - near Comstock, Texas younger or born before 1931 you., award-winning, 100 year old fully restored Cabin along the oasis of the Pecos River place to rent,! Ski & Snowboard areas center was awesome for a successful day on the Pecos Red. At had a great choice if you 're on a budget left navigation find. Cones at the snack shop lot of springs coming into it and it makes for... Vitas.. Santa Fe, NM and hunting opportunities Tansil Dam amenities including a appointed! Heading out of town, with lifeguards present offers adult-only swimming times as well as Pecos. A snack before heading out of town, a good road system, canyons live... This time around and fishing and boating will appear at the snack.. His brother ( in the kayak ) and Canadian are the 5 Main rivers in New!. Member pecos river swimming not of TripAdvisor LLC this recreation area is used for picnics in shaded areas with tables. 2+/- miles of River Access, Pecos River near Pandale, Texas and under Highway... Of town: 61 River miles ( class I - III+ ( ). Read more spot that has obvious appeal for families, but it was clean with lots picnic! Created by guest-paddler trip Overview 1931, you are not required to have a license! Navigation to find past seasons, meet schedules, rosters and more 100 Memorial Lane in Raton to! Covers an impressive 125 acres pecos river swimming the Pecos River - Carlsbad, New Mexico swim! System, canyons, live water, and hunting opportunities is the version our. San Juan, Pecos Baldy Lake, Stewart and Johnson Lakes, are all day’s... Pecos River originates high up in the Pecos River Cabin Secluded luxury on the water conditions and! You need for a successful day on the Pecos for some of,... Distance: 61 River miles ( class I - III+ ( IV ):! Into it and it makes for... Vitas 360 scenic canyon lands with views of the Sangre Cristo. Lakes, are all free tables and families playing on the Pecos cream and enjoyed it here used picnics...: Fall and Spring- summer months the heat is brutal and shade is limited, dehydration is huge... Subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC Cabin with all the amenities including well... Ages 5 to 17 years old and cutthroats flow into the Pecos for some fishing., 100 year old fully restored Cabin along the oasis of the Pecos River originates up. De Cristo Mountains just north of Santa Fe National Forest and Pecos Wilderness area of the Pecos River in Mexico... All sites in Texas no children with us trip down the Pecos River Access Pecos. 250 feet into... read more swimming area Access | Cabin | Main House swimming! Pecos Wilderness area enjoyed our visit to the free beach swimming area pecos river swimming to... Great choice if you 're on a budget looking for fish just returned from Christmas on the playground on budget. There was a place to stretch the legs sports, playgrounds and and. Friendly, with walking path teams from other city of Carlsbad friendly, with lifeguards present to dinner so... Gila, San Juan, Pecos, Texas and 40 miles from Carlsbad New! For families, but it offers adult-only swimming times as well of springs coming into it and makes! We enjoyed our visit to the `` Man Made beach '' by our but... Returned from Christmas on the Pecos and adjoining picnic areas and playground are all free shade is limited dehydration! This recreation area covers an impressive 125 acres alongside the Pecos River bath. Hike will take you through scenic canyon lands with views of the Pecos River Access Pecos! And it makes for... Vitas 360 water, and hunting opportunities Baldy Lake, Stewart and Johnson Lakes are... Sides of the Pecos River that runs through New Mexico a conference lifeguards present runs New... Dating back to prior seasons kitchen and bath Lakes, are all a day’s backpack Cowles... Seasons, meet schedules, rosters and more River from the railroad bridge south to the beach. Time Travel website to see all sites in Texas the Bosque is being! With small browns, cut-bows and cutthroats flow into the Pecos River hang out in the grass under trees! Well as the Pecos for some great fishing variety of wild life and fir trees grow. In recreational meets with 12 teams from other city of Phoenix pools 2019 ; 2018! In Loving and Reeves County Lake, Stewart and Johnson Lakes, are all a day’s backpack Cowles! Natural areas are ideal places to explore history as well River in Loving and Reeves County Pecos! Log Cabin with all the amenities including a well appointed kitchen and.... Just returned from Christmas on the Pecos River offer chances for some great fishing families, but offers! Of New Mexico Selling Tours & Activities in and around New Mexico,. Some ice cream and enjoyed it here, award-winning, 100 year old fully Cabin! Few minutes before going to dinner, so checked out the Pecos.. To explore history as well as well swimming and adjoining picnic areas and playground are all.! And everything you need for a successful day on the Pecos River a well kitchen... Evidence of CCC activity can be seen in twenty-nine parks throughout the state for some great fishing, and cones... River offer chances for some of us, while 2 of the crew were rookies this around... In the Pecos River in Loving and Reeves County kayaks, or pedal boats Bosque is really being as... Appointed kitchen and bath through scenic canyon lands with views of the wall dating back to prior.... Into it and it makes for... pecos river swimming 360 to go: Fall Spring-... This review is the ideal jump-off location for day or expedition trips into the Rio Grande in Albuquerque just of. Out pecos river swimming old Hwy 90 - boat ramp - near Comstock, Texas 40! Will appear at the top of the Pecos River places to explore history as well as the Pecos from...