Be sure to arrange them on your baking sheet in one single layer, spaced apart well. In my experience a quick salting--about 30 minute or so before roasting-- helps break the spongy texture of eggplant, and as it draws out moisture, it can also help it "sweat out" any bitterness. Another winner! Cut the eggplant into 1-inch chunks, or you can cut it into long planks or round slices. You can stuff an eggplant like we do in this recipe, or even turn it into baked eggplant fries! It is a combination new to my taste buds, but one I quickly appreciated very much. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. This simple vegetarian recipe begins with herb-roasted eggplant stuffed with quinoa, fresh pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese. Such a great way to use eggplants. It was really delicious and so tasty! Preheat the oven to 400F. I love the different textures that this recipe has- and the bright Mediterranean flavors! ★☆ I have tahini in the house so would love to make this sauce. I would say, do try another brand of tahini...sounds like it may have not been so fresh? Place the roasted eggplant and tomato with their juices, the basil and parsley in a large mixing bowl, mince the roasted garlic and add it your bowl, pour over the lemon juice and mix well until combined. It worked perfectly and were absolutely delicious! When the eggplant is done, assemble the plates, topping the warm rice or grain with the roasted eggplant, then surround with fresh veggies and drizzle with tahini sauce, yogurt or tzatziki– or you could simply season the fresh veggies and rice with salt, lemon and olive oil. The important thing is that you carefully select your eggplant--it should be heavy for its size, and the skin should be tight and unblemished. So glad you liked it! So good! Keywords: Roasted Eggplant, How to Roast Eggplant, Roasted Eggplant Slices, Oven Roasted Eggplant, Tag @themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #themediterraneandish. You may also enjoy 50+ Top Mediterranean diet recipes. 48 of Our Favorite Mediterranean Food Recipes | Taste of Home Some may claim eggplant is bitter or boring, while others consider it a fussy ingredient. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. I roasted some eggplant and then happened to come across this pin. Thanks for the tips for making them crispier. Roasted Eggplant and Lamb Recipe [bctt tweet="Warm and fragrant #Mediterranean spices in this Jordanian roasted #eggplant and #lamb dish make it a perfect meal for any occasion. I find that if I have salted the eggplant, roasted it in the oil, and added the tomato juices and lemon juice that it doesn’t need anything else. Wash your cherry tomatoes, pat dry and place them in a small lined baking tray, sprinkle with salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Oil a baking sheet with a little bit of olive oil. Your roasted eggplant tips are excellent btw. Place the 2 garlic cloves in the corner of the tray. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle with seasoning of choice (I used about 1 to 1 ½ tsp of, Serve this roasted eggplant as a vegan side or as an appetizer/. #dinner #recipe … The Mediterranean diet, inspired by the eating habits of Greeks and Italians in the 1960s, is perfect for making the best of summer produce. Or you can go Greek with a touch of oregano and a dollop of tzatziki sauce on top. Place on a cutting board sliced side up, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30... Preheat the oven to 350F. Sprinkle the eggplant … Ingredients for Mediterranean Lentils with Roasted Eggplant … Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Read More about Suzy, Subscribe for FREE and we'll email you a weekly meal plan, new recipes, plus a FREE copy of my. The eggplant also ends up absorbing less oil. These cookies do not store any personal information. This Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Recipe is jam-packed with summers bountiful produce, and can be made in advance – grab your fork and dig into delicious! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Sprinkle with fresh Italian parsley. Especially when shared with yogurt or coconut cream and crusty sourdough or a round of naan or pita. Learn how to roast eggplants perfectly in the oven with all tips and tricks. ★☆. Let's get to those before we move on to today's recipe. In a large bowl, quickly mix with olive oil and kosher salt and fresh ground pepper (the eggplant soaks up the oil in an instant, so mix as soon as you add it!). Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. Thanks Suzy! This post may include affiliate links. Place eggplant strips in a big pot of lightly salted water and soak for 30 minutes (this will improve … And, be sure to flip the eggplant slices over partway through roasting. I'm Suzy. This salad tastes even better if you allow the flavours to develop for an hour or two. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Copyright © 2020 The Mediterranean Dish. Cheers! And I haven't experienced this issues myself, but here is the tahini sauce I make: https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tahini-sauce-recipe-how-to-make-tahini/ It might have some tips for you. The combination of eggplant, tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, red onions and fresh herbs makes a very colorful and flavorful salad. Sorry to bug you with my problems...lol...but I'm wondering if it's the brand tahini that I used. Instead of frying, I opted to roast the eggplant (applying the tips I shared above) and giving it a quick brush of extra virgin olive oil before roasting in a hot oven for about 35 minutes or until crispy and tender. In Mediterranean cooking, an eggplant can be transformed a bunch of delicious ways, from hearty  eggplant casseroles like Greek Moussaka and Italian eggplant Parmesan, to one pot wonders like this braised eggplant dish, or luscious dips like baba ganoush. This easy Mediterranean roasted eggplant salad is the healthy side dish you’ll want to serve all summer long. Typically, the eggplant is fried until it turns a charred brown (almost blackened), then finished with some warm Middle Eastern seasonings, fresh herbs and a generous drizzle of tahini. Please review Nutrition Disclosure. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 21 Authentic Mediterranean Food Recipes - Mediterranean Living Be sure to check your email and confirm your subscription. Place tablespoons of the grated parmesan on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper and flatten. Pour the eggplant … Here we give the roasted eggplant a bit of a Mediterranean twist with warm seasonings like za'atar and sumac, a handful of fresh parsley, roasted pine nuts and pomegranate. It includes produce that’s at its best when the weather is warm, like zucchini, cucumber, eggplant, tomatoes, and fresh herbs–everything you’d want to plant in your ideal summer garden. In the Middle East and Mediterranean, meals are often served “mezze” style– small … Today's roasted eggplant recipe has Eastern Mediterranean roots, and in particular, Jerusalem. Instructions Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Add garlic, olive oil, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, salt, cayenne: Combine the eggplant, minced garlic, … All Rights Reserved. My family loved it! Apr 4, 2017 - Want to make the best, crispy, tender roasted eggplant? What perfect timing! Your email address will not be published. ★☆ You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I like to give the eggplant a gentle squeeze to feel for any dents or soft spots. Serve it with tahini sauce and warm pita! Please join me and our growing community! 3. This Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Recipe is jam-packed with summers bountiful produce and can be made in advance – grab your fork and dig into delicious! How to soften kale for unforgettable salads. ★☆ Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe You can roast your vegetables and cook your parmesan crisps the day before so that all you have to do on the day is to chop your herbs, mince your garlic, add your lemon juice, mix and serve with the parmesan crisps on top. Best Grilled Eggplant Recipe - How To Make Grilled Eggplant If you're looking to make crispy, tender, and super delicious roasted eggplant, this simple recipe is your ticket! Then place it in your hot oven for approximately 5 minutes or until crisp. It allowed me to use some eggplant I found on clearance at the store, along with some basic ingredients I had on hand at home. But, if you give it a chance, eggplant can play as big a role as other staple ingredients, and it can actually be addictive! And that tahini sauce ?? Roasted Eggplant Matbucha – Sweet and Spicy Moroccan-Inspired Mezze Recipe on ToriAvey.com. We discussed this earlier when I posted this eggplant Parmesan recipe, but it bears a brief repeat here. Feta Cheese, 4 oz Eggplant, fresh, 1 eggplant, peeled (yield from 1-1/4 Onions, raw, 1 small Best Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon and Cumin, Fried Eggplant with Tomatoes and Green Peppers. 2. Sprinkle each eggplant slices with salt on both sides and let sit for 30 minutes {this helps to remove bitterness}. Arrange the salad in a large bowl and scatter the parmesan crisp on top to garnish. This is by far my new favorite way to eat eggplant! https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tahini-sauce-recipe-how-to-make-tahini/, Greek-Style Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon and Garlic, Easy Authentic Falafel Recipe: Step-by-Step, Simple Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken with a Mediterranean Twist, Easy Hummus Recipe (Authentic and Homemade), Avgolemono Soup Recipe (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup), Seasoning of your choice (I used a generous sprinkle of, Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with kosher salt and arrange on a large tray lined with paper towels. Easy Mediterranean Vegetable Stuffed Eggplant | Food Recipes Add olives or cheese if you wish. Check out our best, most-delicious eggplant recipes from Giada, Ina, Bobby and more of the chefs at Food Network. Superb! Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush generously with olive oil. You can use the basic recipe and change up the seasonings to your liking. Salt them for a creamier texture, don't salt them for a firmer, meatier texture.*. Oven roasted vegetarian sidedish. JOIN MY FREE E-MAIL LIST HERE. If you're looking for crispy roasted eggplant, rather than a steamed finish, do these 3 things: Slice the eggplant thinly (1-inch or even ¾-inch slices). ", Meanwhile, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Make the tahini sauce according to, Pat the eggplant slices dry and brush both sides generously with extra virgin olive oil (I used, When the roasted eggplant is ready, remove from oven (there should not be too much excess oil, but if you like, you can carefully place the eggplant slices on a try lined with paper towel to drain.) Eggplants are ready to pick in the garden right now, and I've been looking for recipes. Excellent and unique combination of flavors. Serve it at room temperature as an appetizer, or as a part of a vegan affair next to some homemade falafel! See notes. Or as a simple side next to Mediterranean favorites like za'atar chicken; chicken shawarma; or grilled lamb chops. Grab our tips & learn how to dress up roasted eggplant with Mediterranean falvors Cook pappardelle at a boil until tender yet firm to … Personally I like the creamy lusciusness of an eggplant that has been salted but its is entirely up to you if you would like to take the time needed to do this, you will need and additional 40-60 minutes for salting. An easy roasted eggplant recipe that you can make at home. I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This recipe is it! I can have this any day of the week, it's one of my favorite dishes! This recipe is all you need to make crispy, tender roasted eggplant slices. Salt the eggplant before roasting. Then I added a good handful of fresh chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds (ariles.) Want to go with something even more exotic? Filed Under: Appetizer and Mezze, Mediterranean Diet Recipes, Middle Eastern Recipes, Salads, Sides and Small Plates, Vegan Tagged With: eggplant, gluten free. I loved how tasty this is! If you follow the basic recipe for roasting eggplant and season it simply, keeping the tahini, parsley, and pomegranate aside, you can store the roasted eggplant in the fridge in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days. Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab – Mediterranean dishes like this one are a natural fit for the best roasted eggplant recipe! Let cool completely and then dice up the eggplant. The stuffed eggplant is garnished with toasted pine-nuts and fresh basil. With delicious recipes like Greek Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms to Roasted Gnocchi & Brussels Sprouts with Meyer Lemon, you won’t be missing meat. Place in the middle part of your oven and roast your eggplants for approximately 30-40 minutes, turning on a regular basis until the eggplants are golden and soft. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with kosher salt and arrange on a large tray lined with paper … The sauce came out so bitter! It comes together in just 25 minutes and can be served warm or at room temperature. Lentils are filling enough, but with the abundace of eggplant and tomatoes in this Mediterranean eggplant recipe, it easily becomes a hearty main. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Really, once you have your roasted eggplant, you can dress it up any way you like. Your email address will not be published. I am not sure what or who's recipe you used for your lemon sauce. Remove from the oven when ready and allow to cool. But if you  haven't worked with eggplant too often and want an easy recipe to start with, roasted eggplant is your ticket! Hi! I have included step by step instructions here –. Place the eggplant halves on the baking sheet sliced side down. Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore – While the chicken is finishing in the slow cooker, turn on the oven and make roasted eggplant … Leave for 30 minutes to allow the eggplant to "sweat. ★☆ Arrange eggplant cubes in a single layer on a paper towel lined baking sheet. Packed with vegetables, whole grains, lean plant-based proteins and healthy fats, these recipes will give you inspiration to follow the Mediterranean Diet. Naturally gluten free and low carb too! Do not add any salt, pepper or oil until you have tasted your salad. To start, select a good eggplant. Liquid vs Dry Measures – what’s the differences? Not to mention that the sauce curdled from the lemon. There are many varieties of eggplant, but globe eggplant, which is what I use here, are available in stores almost year-round. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. 45 Comments. This is a delicious recipe, with a very cultural taste. For all recipes, visit us here. Arrange your eggplants in a large baking tray, drizzle with the ¼ cup of olive oil and toss until well combined. A couple of tips make a big difference when it comes to turning an eggplant into crispy, tender roasted eggplant slices. For seasoning, I used a combination of za'atar (a wild thyme blend) and sumac. This is a versatile dish that  you can prepare in advance. Thanks so much for sharing, Mary! All that was left to complete this part is a little warm pita bread! Pre-heat grill to medium heat. Change up the seasoning according to what you have on hand. As a middle easterner, I love eggplant recipes, from stuffed eggplants and Persian eggplant soup to the best middle eastern eggplant recipe, I love making delicious dishes with this vegetable.Today, I’m going to show you one of the basics: how to roast eggplant. Roast in your oven until they have just started to collapse and burst (approximately 10-15 minutes). 1. Your email address will not be published. Oh and prior to this I only have used tahini in hummus and a different brand, so I am no expert on what the taste should be. Grab my few tips below, plus learn how I dress up my roasted eggplant spices with Mediterranean flavors (a couple spices, some tahini, and maybe a handful pomegranate seeds for somethin' fancy). There is a continued debate on whether the salting step is necessary. I recently made a vegan pasta that had a lemon-tahini sauce. *This post first appeared on The Mediterranean Dish in 2016 and has recently been updated with new information and media for readers' benefit. Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Dip is the easiest and tastiest healthy appetizer for any party! Even if your not a fan of eggplant, roasting it with some garlic and adding a few other ingredients makes it a perfect dip for veggies and healthy chips, and might just win you over! I so love having you here! You are very welcome, Janell! An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher.Privacy policy, What is the Mediterranean Diet and How to Follow It, Mediterranean Diet Food List: 5 Foods You Need, Favorite Mediterranean Diet Cookbooks (part 1), Mediterranean-Style Roasted Eggplant Recipe, Mediterranean-Style Oven Baked Salmon in Foil (Video) ». This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. And check your spam folder in case you cannot find our email! After you have tasted your salad then decide if it needs any salt, pepper or any additional oil, adjust flavourings according to your taste. Have you ever heard of such a thing??? Serve and enjoy. Yummy! Drizzle eggplant with the 3 Tablespoons olive oil and grill until tender and browned, about 5 minutes per side. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Try a little Morrocan twist with seasonings like Harissa. Learn how your comment data is processed. * Times are an estimate and will depend on your skill level. Wash and trim your eggplants, cut into large chunks. Today, influenced by my mother's tasty kitchen, and my extensive travels, I share easy wholesome recipes with big Mediterranean flavors.  Welcome to my table.