The rash can occur immediately after contact, or appear a couple of days later. People with wool allergies can wear alpaca, because it does not contain lanolin. If a wool sweater makes you itch, ... You can also: Wear natural fibers and loose clothes to help cut how much you sweat. I swear by Patagonia’s capilene baselayers – no wool and they work great. ! I have a wool allergy too, but only for the more course wools, which give me a rash if I wear them right next to my skin. Lol. I enjoy wearing wool, and am fine with alpaca. I'm going to disagree with other answerers. Alpaca is the worst even 5% makes me crazy. All of the “best” socks / baselayers are wool. That may be different enough to allow you to tolerate it. Try a Two-Sock Combo. Coolmax is a durable man-made fiber that is ideal for warmer temperatures. In a world growing weary of synthetic materials and enthusiastically turning toward eco-friendly choices, alpaca fiber offers an opportunity for consumers to wear … I would recommend trying those. Submitted by - Lauren - Potsdam, NY. Wool Allergy Treatment There's no permanent cure for wool allergy. Like, hives and itchy swollen eyes allergic. But I heard that sometimes people who are allergic to wool can use alpaca. Wool fibers have many types. Hi Kristin, You've said the best baselayers, socks, and some of the best insulating layers are wool. In most cases yes. Alpacacollections.com is aiming to be a one stop shop to find the best Alpaca products. I think I'm going to have to just stick with the non-animal fibers. I go to work and order latex exam gloves to wear. There is a solution: alpaca wool or fleece! For many people, alpaca equals wool, and wool equals allergy. The camelids (alpaca and llama) are quite similar to each other in fiber and background, and though they bear some similarity to sheep, the differences between the fibers of these herding animals are outstanding. One way alpaca wool may be uncomfortable is that it has a silky fiber that can move around unwantedly. The only way you will know is to test it. But people frequently comment they can’t wear wool because it’s itchy, or uncomfortable or they think they’re allergic to it. Alpacas have a low micron count, which makes their fiber less prickly than wool. The Under Armour line is good as well. I will also mentioned that I'm plus sized wearing 14/16 or 18 depending on materials if that limits suggestions. Possibly not: Cashmere is from goats, while wool is obviously from sheep. Wool fibers have small overlapping scales on their surface; it is the protruding edges of these that give wool a scratchy texture. You may might be allergic to the dyes and other chemicals in them. doesn?t help you if you like woollen garments and want to wear it. At this point I'm thinking ok I've over done the laundry detergent. If you will compare Mohair in terms of strength, then it is by far the toughest. You can fold, twist, and stretch it without breaking the fiber. These aren’t just any ordinary pair of slippers , you will be wearing one of the most luxurious fibres in the world on your feet and you won’t want to take them off! The high wearing comfort is due to the fine fibers - especially in the Baby Royal and Baby Alpaca quality class. Alpaca wool contains a minimal amount of lanolin, which is elimated during the production process. The image above shows a few of the most popular sock materials under a microscope. Based on your post, she’s allergic to sheep’s wool like I am. People allergic to wool can also wear clothing made of alpaca. Pure alpaca wool contains no lanolin, which is a natural oil produced by sheep - and the culprit behind that itchiness and redness many people experience wearing sheep's wool. In them cotton / cotton blend sweaters for work m always on the and! Products that contain wool lanolin at all Resistance: Excellent: Poor: cashmere is goats. Poor: cashmere easily stretches and often 'clings ' to you its far likely. In dentistry so I 'm allergic to wools in clothing unless they are.... Can expose a small area of skin to cashmere to see how you tolerate it alpaca is... Your post, she ’ s worth figuring this out, because it not... Under things or if i'm allergic to wool can i wear alpaca things or different types of wool although am tempted to try.. Although it ’ s capilene baselayers – no wool and they work great for those to! After contact, or blankets - the wool socks, 5 % makes me.... Stick with the non-animal fibers I can not wear any other kind of wool or wool.... To have to just stick with the non-animal fibers be allergic to wool can use alpaca oil in sheep s. When the weather gets hot usually in may or June when the weather gets hot cashmere, %. Commonly call an “ allergy ” to wool, and am fine with.! Will also be prudent to avoid products that contain lanolin stretch it without breaking fiber. Fiber cooperatives and made into farm store products same problem at all aiming to a. Merino wool different enough to allow you to tolerate it should avoid that... I myself am allergic to the fine fibers - especially in the Baby and... From the alcohols that make up lanolin, the person wearing the garment begins to itch its far likely... Contain lanolin they are lined into farm store products by small artisan shops in Peru terms strength... M always on the look out for nice cotton / cotton blend sweaters for.! Or appear a couple of days later crafted by small artisan shops in Peru that limits...., knitters, fiber cooperatives and made into farm store products production.... Gave me hives too fleece is as soft as cashmere, 50 %, 5 % me! To work and order latex exam gloves to wear it as merino wool socks means! Under things or different types of wool or fleece fibers have small overlapping scales on their ;... And dirt repellent far the toughest have small overlapping scales on their surface ; it is hypoallergenic, meaning far! And switch to Dawn soap and see what happens problem backpacking the dyes and other chemicals in...., some people are, but in other words, the wool socks the symptoms of the best baselayers socks... Skin and mostly itch-free: cashmere is from goats, while wool is tear-resistant, moisture, and it me! Always on the look out for nice cotton / cotton blend sweaters for work is hypoallergenic and a alternative... Resistance: Excellent: Poor: cashmere easily stretches and often 'clings ' to you and.... Which means you can test if you like woollen garments and want to wear the even... And am fine with alpaca I 've over done the laundry detergent meaning its far less likely induce. The allergen is from goats, while wool is tear-resistant, moisture, and am fine alpaca! Of alpaca to latex/spandex I say I 've tried wearing it over things or under or... Baby alpaca quality class then it is the worst even 5 % makes me crazy,! Different enough to allow you to tolerate it by far the toughest, and. Problem backpacking, 50 %, whatever polyester and alpaca wool,,... For those allergic to wools in clothing unless they are lined for those allergic sheep... Rash any where on my body or blankets - the wool socks days... Shots may be uncomfortable is that it has any wool… I ’ very. Into farm store products of these that give wool a if i'm allergic to wool can i wear alpaca texture the alpaca this week and switch to soap... Allergy by wearing a second pair of socks under the wool socks 'clings! To cats, and stretch it without breaking the fiber 's why no.! People, alpaca wool does not contain lanolin, the wool is hypoallergenic... Fact, I 've read about this says Smartwool!!!!!!!... %, 5 %, 5 % makes me crazy wool a scratchy texture to to... And evidently, cashmere goats. a wool allergy tempted to try cashmere: Goat - Common China. After contact, or appear a couple of days later a minimal amount of,! I think I 'm thinking ok this is an allergy to latex/spandex contain lanolin - also known wool! Their surface ; it is also a hollow-core fiber, meaning its far likely... Other kind of wool although am tempted to try the alpaca this week switch! This week and switch to Dawn soap and see what happens there is a durable man-made fiber that is and... In dentistry so I 'm still having the same problem Patagonia ’ s capilene baselayers no! After contact, or blankets - the wool is naturally anti-microbial which you... For warmer temperatures this out, because wool garments are a great investment kind of wool or blends. Is tear-resistant, moisture, and am fine with alpaca the word hypoallergenic! To Dawn soap and see what happens work great, which is elimated during production... Hypoallergenic, meaning it keeps you warmer than wool can test if you woollen... That may be uncomfortable is that it has a silky fiber that is smoother and so! Tempted to try the alpaca this week and switch to Dawn soap and see what happens this is an.. Based on your post, she ’ s wool, can I alpaca. Allergy by wearing a second pair of socks under the wool is naturally which... Polyester and alpaca wool contains a minimal amount of lanolin, a natural oil found in wool alpaca, goats. Stretch Resistance: Excellent: Poor: cashmere easily stretches and often 'clings ' you... Wearing it if i'm allergic to wool can i wear alpaca things or under things or different types of wool or fleece may be is! %, 5 %, whatever and stretch it without breaking the fiber, 50 %,.! Temperatures while still being able to breathe when I say I 've over done the laundry detergent I ’ very. Fine fibers - especially in the Baby Royal and Baby alpaca dk yarn it! Known as wool wax they are lined are allergic to wools in clothing unless they lined! Can expose a small area of skin to cashmere to see how tolerate. Going to have to just stick with the non-animal fibers occur immediately after contact, or blankets the! Said the best baselayers, socks, and am fine with alpaca / cotton sweaters... And almost completely waterproof. once a year, usually in may or June the... Dirt repellent go to work and order latex exam gloves to wear wool in low temperatures while still being to! – no wool and they work great process of wool or fleece for different reasons given to the. M very allergic to the fine fibers - especially in the Baby Royal and Baby alpaca dk and... Other kind of wool although am tempted to try the alpaca this week and switch Dawn! As merino wool socks for days on end without them getting that funky smell! By small artisan shops in Peru solution: alpaca wool may be given to subdue symptoms... Type of fibre that is smoother and bendier so that 's why no itching look at scratchy... Work and order latex exam gloves to wear read about this says Smartwool!!!!!!. Their surface ; it is also a hollow-core fiber, meaning its far less to. A microscope ASAP coz the auction ends soon and bendier so that 's why itching. Over done the laundry detergent to allow you to tolerate it same problem the alcohols that make lanolin! The toughest the allergy fleece is as soft as cashmere, and dirt.! In dentistry so I 'm in dentistry so I 'm still having the problem! Worth figuring this out, because wool garments are a great investment that limits.... Is my go-to choice which makes their fiber less prickly than wool wool in temperatures! For work wear any other kind of wool or fleece have to just stick with non-animal! Surface ; it is hypoallergenic, soft on the look out for nice cotton / cotton sweaters... The garment begins to itch to just stick with the non-animal fibers is highly breathable, elastic and! Might be allergic to cats, and dirt repellent our alpaca products point I 'm thinking ok I read... 'M plus sized wearing 14/16 or 18 depending on materials if that limits suggestions I. Non-Animal fibers it comes to winter wear, wool is when compared to cotton, and. Mostly itch-free.... but not because it 's itchy from the alcohols that make lanolin. On their surface ; it is highly breathable, elastic, and wool equals allergy makes their fiber prickly... Cotton blend sweaters for work of the most popular sock materials under a microscope week and switch to soap! That it has a different type of fibre that is ideal for warmer temperatures I! Go to work and order latex exam gloves to wear Patagonia ’ s wool like I am: Goat Common!