), Based on what we know about diet soda's main components, here's how they stack up. At the end of the day, Diet Pepsi's reformulation without aspartame may just be one last-gasp effort by the diet soda industry to revive its flagging sales. There are 10 calories in 1 bottle (20 fl. Coffee, meanwhile, has between 80 and 175 milligrams per 8-ounce serving, which equates to between 10 and 21.9 milligrams of caffeine per ounce. MTN DEW ZERO SUGAR has zero calories per 20 oz, while Diet Mtn Dew still contains 10 calories per 20 oz. The levels of 4-MI are much higher in Diet Pepsi than in Diet Coke, according to testing by Consumer Reports, although its most recent testing shows improvements. One of the most toxic ingredients in diet Mountain Dew is aspartame. In the process, contaminants like a cancer-causing agent called 4-methylimidazole, or 4-MI, can form. "The change reflects widespread public concern about the safety of aspartame," says Lisa Y. Lefferts, senior scientist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a food safety watchdog group. As a kicker, Diet Mountain Dew also contains the emulsifier brominated vegetable oil (BVO), which has been shown to leave residues in body fat and the fat in the brain, liver, and other organs. There are also variations in carbonation, cloudyness, and scent.   I could tell you how much Diet Mountain Dew I used to drink every day, and you wouldn’t believe me. They are supposed to help you stay awake and focused on whatever activity you are doing. MORE: 4 Ways To Beat Your Diet Soda Addiction In One Week. Black Cherry Mountain Dew Kickstart. The most popular color? Also available caffeine free. Their aspartame content, in order from least to most per 8-ounce bottle: Sprite Zero (50 mg), Coke Zero (58 mg), Pepsi Max (77 mg), Diet Pepsi and Caffeine-Free Diet Pepsi (111 mg and 118 mg, respectively), Diet Dr. Pepper (123 mg), Diet Coke and Caffeine-Free Coke (125 mg). A study last year by the American Cancer Society did not find a link. Diet Mountain Dew was introduced in 1988, followed by Mountain Dew Red, which was introduced and discontinued in 1988. As an added bonus, the clear beverage contains caffeine, a trait not many citrus sodas possess. 62 Your results may vary. Thanks! In October 2010, this brand started the “FanDEWmonium” promotion (also known as the “Diet Dew Challenge”), a competition in which new flavors would compete to become permanent, but with 8 diet flavors instead of 3 regular ones. The newly reformulated Diet Pepsi no longer has aspartame—so that may push it to the top of the list. So the final tally on our end was that DMD was the clear favorite. "The thing is, aspartame has undergone better cancer testing than these other artificial sweeteners," Lefferts explains, "so while it appears to be the worst from a risk perspective, it's possible that these others are just as bad and we just don't know it.". This week, a freshly revamped Diet Pepsi—with the phrase "now aspartame free" on its silver label—will hit supermarket shelves nationwide. Diet Pepsi also contains caramel color, which is not like caramel you might make at home by melting sugar in a saucepan. Well you're in luck, because here they come. Yes, anything with acid can cause cavities, but not nearly as fast as regular soda. Diet Mountain Dew 0 Calorie Citrus Soda - 2L Bottle (293) Mountain Dew. Here’s What Sugar Really Does to Your Brain, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. And diet sodas are still likely a better choice than their full-sugar cousins. It's fun, sometimes surprising, and, in this case, tasty. Taking a look at the 1-liter bottle will contain roughly 150 milligrams.Interestingly enough, if you up the size it by a half-liter and you get a 100-milligram boost of caffeine. Very cool study. Between the 1940s and 1980s there was one variety of Mountain Dew, which was citrus -flavored and caffeinated in most markets. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, Today’s Al Roker Reveals Prostate Cancer Diagnosis, Colon Cancer Rates Are Rising in Young People, 9 Lung Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore, What Happens to Your Body When You Go Gluten-Free, 6 Signs Of Thyroid Cancer You Shouldn’t Ignore, 7 Signs of Skin Cancer That Aren’t a New Mole, How 5 Women Coped After Their Cancer Returned, What 3 Major Cancer Breakthroughs Mean for You. But are they really any good? I had a lot of Diet Mountain Dew. Research from the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research in 2009 showed 41 percent of children and 62 percent of adolescents drink at least one soda every day. Diet Mountain Dew defeated MTN Dew Zero 6 – 0. Somewhere in the Middle Caffeine Content First of all, since both Monster Energy and Mountain Dew are caffeinated drinks, let’s compare their caffeine levels. All 3 of these participants also preferred Diet Mountain Dew. Serving Size 20 fl oz (591 mL) 1 PER CONTAINER Caffeine … oz) of Mountain Dew Diet Mountain Dew Soda. The Only Diet with Dew in It. MORE: 8 Things That Happen When You Finally Stop Drinking Diet Soda Neat that Moon Mist (Faygo) and Rocky Mist (Meijer) are so close in points since they are both made by Faygo. A 12-ounce serving of Mountain Dew has 55 milligrams of caffeine, or about 4.6 milligrams per ounce. This is why I love science. The first thing we all noticed was the variation in color (very close, all yellow. Mountain Dew Zero Sugar is a modified version of the original formula, containing no sugar, but retaining the same citrus taste and yellow-green color as the original Mountain Dew drink, similar to, but a separate drink from, Diet Mountain Dew. This is why you see a drop of 14% mass (0.94 grams to 0.81 grams) in the teeth kept in Mountain Dew for ~three weeks, while only a 7% drop (from 0.86 grams to 0.80 grams) in the one kept in Coke for ~three weeks. More Information. Visit CalorieKing to see calorie count and nutrient data for all portion sizes. Mountain Dew Caffeine Free Soda 6pk/24 fl oz Bottles (138) Shouldn't you call Sun Drop the original not Mt. This artificial sweetener has been linked to multiple serious health challenges. This NEW flavor of Mountain Dew® was launched on 1/13/20 and purchased for $1.50 at CVS. Personalized health review for Mountain Dew Soda,Throwback: 170 calories, nutrition grade (D), problematic ingredients, and more. E. Mountain Dew - plastic bottle F. Moon Mist (Faygo) G. Mountain Lightning (Wal-Mart) H. Diet Mountain Dew - plastic bottle I. Other artificial sweeteners—including ace-K and sucralose (both of which are in the newly reformulated Diet Pepsi)—may also pose a cancer risk, and there are safety questions about artificial colors, including the caramel coloring found in most sodas (even some ginger ales), as well as certain emulsifiers. Has a cleaner, crisper taste in my humble opinion. "The caramel color used in soda is made with ammonia and sulfites under high pressure and temperatures," Lefferts explains. If you want a Mountain Dew product that is high in caffeine … It was tossed in as a control worst.). Prevention participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Did you scroll all this way to get facts about diet mountain dew? But then I drank a bit more of each and that old familiar Diet Dew aftertaste started to form in my mouth and I quickly remembered why I always hated that version of Dew. Mountain Dew MT DEW CR 20FLOZ (201) Mountain Dew. 😉 P.S. Exactly. And when they changed the formula, I was furious. But it still contains acesulfame potassium (ace-K), which is poorly tested, although two studies suggest it may pose a cancer risk, as well as sucralose (Splenda), which the CSPI is now approaching with caution since the authors of a forthcoming study link it to leukemia.   Product Title Diet Mountain Dew Soda, 16.9 oz Bottles, 6 Count Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars, based on 328 reviews 328 ratings Current Price $8.62 $ 8 . The brand new sugarless soda hit shelves on the first weeks of January 2020, in a variety of forms. Of course, a 20-ounce bottle of Mountain Dew will give you the same amount of caffeine compared to an 8-ounce cup of coffee.. Each of them contains 90 milligrams of caffeine.. Mountain Dew® Zero Sugar is a … More and more people are simply making healthier choices, including drinking low- and no-calorie beverages made without the worst of the sweeteners (like these delicious Sassy water recipes). Diet Mountain Dew Cans (12 Count, 12 Fl Oz Each) by Brand: Mountain Dew. We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. Before you spit out the diet cola swishing around your mouth right this second, the fact is that the cancer risk from food additives is likely pretty small, Lefferts says. Much prefer sundrop. Several animal studies have linked aspartame to cancer risk, and a highly controversial study from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2012 explored a possible link in humans, although even the researchers from that study admitted that it was a weak link. In 2001, a cherry flavor called Code Red debuted. I actually did a blind taste test of all three versions of Mountain Dew and at first, I picked Diet of Zero. Not only does it contain aspartame, ace-K, and sucralose… (Though diet soda's hardly healthy; check out this comparison of regular soda vs. diet soda. – The way I understand things, is that MTN Dew Zero is not replacing Diet Mountain Dew. “People who eat a diet that’s high in fish have a lower risk of heart attacks and strokes in many observational studies,” says JoAnn Manson, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospi­tal in Boston. Mountain Dew Throwback - glass bottle K. Mello Yellow - (Coca-Cola) L. Mountain Holler - (Save A Lot) So, we have a clear winner, Mountain Dew Throwback in a can! Mountain Dew Voltage Soda 2 l (597) Mountain Dew. Most of us at The Daily Meal try to maintain a constant caffeine flow — whether it presents itself in coffee, tea, or energy drinks — so our … "Diet sodas contain several questionable ingredients, but aspartame is the one we’re most concerned about." Citrus drop from Kroger tastes better to me than actual Mountain Dew and is half the price. There are quite a bit of ingredients cut in the Zero Sugar, including concentrated orange juice, which is found in the Diet. Our tasters were four males who's favorite drink was Mountain Dew. Dew? Mountain Dew - can J. (When I launched that site in 2006, I systematically estimated my lifetime consumption to date at 5,400 gallons.) Why trust us? diet sodas are still likely a better choice than their full-sugar cousins, this comparison of regular soda vs. diet soda, 8 Things That Happen When You Finally Stop Drinking Diet Soda, 4 Ways To Beat Your Diet Soda Addiction In One Week, 8 Things That Happen When You Quit Caffeine, This Is Your Body On Diet Soda (Infographic), Eight Things That Happen When You Finally Stop Drinking Diet Soda. What’s the difference between Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and Diet Mountain Dew? Diet Mtn Dew® All the great, exhilarating taste of MTN DEW® with less calories. PepsiCo and Coca-Cola have pledged to remove BVO from any of their drinks that contain it, but they didn’t say when that might happen. A handful of examples: Steaz (sweetened with stevia and erythritol, a sugar alcohol that CSPI considers safe), DrinkMaple Pure Maple Water (with no added sugars, and half the natural sugar in coconut water), Reed's Ginger Brews (the "light" version is sweetened with stevia leaf extract and honey), Hot Lips Pear Soda (with no added sugar), and Zevia Cola (made with erythritol, stevia extract, and monk fruit extract). Each of us pretty much expected the different Mountain Dew varieties to be clustered together at the top, with the wanna-bees trailing after... and diet Mountain Dew as dead last (None of us like diet soda.. at all. My Mom was also curious, so she tried them as well. Store Locator Buy Online Nutrition Info Back to MTN DEW® FLAVORS Mtn Dew Pitch Black® DEWsletter; I Want To Serve Dew ... Get your DEW® Diet Mountain Dew may well be the riskiest diet soda because it has the greatest number of questionable additives. Sun Drop was patented in 1930 whereas Mt. 3) Targeted Marketing – False Energy. Mountain Dew rang in the new year with their new offering. – The available flavors of Monster Energy vs Mountain Dew – Which drink that is generally more recommended. You'd need to walk 3 minutes to burn 10 calories. All oddly packaged in green containers....). Mountain Dew recently announced its newest fizzy pop called MTN DEW ICE — a translucent, carbonated, lemon-lime soda with a splash of real juice. In case you’re wondering, this isn’t the same as Diet Mountain Dew, which has less than 1 gram of sugar. After the samples were poured, we came back in to sample each product. Keep in mind that all of them—except Sprite Zero—also contain caramel color and thus the potential for 4-MI. Title: The Psygen Chronicles, Book 1: A New ThreatGenre: Science Fiction (Space Opera)More... | Buy... Each of these is marketed as a competitor (or at least store-brand knock-off...) to Mountian Dew. It’s available in 2-liter bottles, 20-ounce bottles, a dozen of 12-ounce cans and a variety of other single and multi-pack offerings. Least Harmful? Doritos-flavored Mountain Dew might be a real thing Keep in mind that the Mountain Dew has a pH of 3.1, while Coca-Cola has a pH of 2.5 -- making it six times more acidic than Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew Citrus Soda 12 fl oz 12 pk (159) Mountain Dew. (Check out 57 sneaky names for sugar.) There are 127 diet mountain dew for sale on Etsy, and they cost $14.98 on average. Bonus points if we could correctly identify a sample. Diet Mountain Dew is a modified version of the original formula, containing very less sugar, but retaining the same citrus taste and yellow-green color as the original Mountain Dew drink, similar to, Mountain Dew Zero Sugar. They fail to satisfy cravings and often intensify hunger. Dew was formulated in 1940 as a knockoff. Soda is big business, especially when it comes to soda consumption by children and adolescents. Citric Acid: Citric acid is a sour flavoring agent derived from citrus, and it’s often used to keep … Learn more: Pantry orders of $35 and up ship for free- a $5.99 shipping fee applies to orders under $35. Apparently, Mountain Dew has a higher TA as compared to Coke which makes it more harmful for your teeth. MORE: 8 Things That Happen When You Quit Caffeine Now I’m going to try Dew Throwback. Judging solely by taste, we had to rank the samples from Best, to Worst, in order. Diet Mountain Dew may well be the riskiest diet soda because it has the greatest number of questionable additives. Learn the good & bad for 250,000+ products. The Worst The most common diet mountain dew material is metal. Aspartame is the go-to sweetener in most diet sodas, so regular drinkers might think twice about what they're guzzling. Both products maintain the bold and refreshing taste that represents Mtn Dew. In 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, an arm of the World Health Organization, concluded that 4-MI is "possibly carcinogenic to humans," and California now lists it as a carcinogen. Consumer Reports' testing has found that some sodas sold in California have much lower levels of 4-MI than the same brands sold in other states. Mt dew has a weird metallic taste. PepsiCo ditched the controversial sweetener aspartame in response to consumer demand, replacing it with sucralose, known by the brand name Splenda, and acesulfame potassium, or ace-K, both sweeteners thought to be safer. My wife mixed up the order of the product, then poured the same amount of each of these into identical glasses, labeled A through L. None of the tasters was in the room when this happened. Diet Voltage was released in 2011 as a part of the "FanDEWmonium" promotion and made it to the finals with Diet Mountain Dew Supernova, meaning it had a limited release in U.S. stores while voting took place, until Diet Supernova was revealed to be the winner. Ounce for ounce, coffee has a much higher caffeine content than Mountain Dew. "We know that sugar drinks are a major cause of obesity and have also been linked to heart disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome, not to mention tooth decay," Lefferts says. And unless they're labeled as "caffeine-free," the caffeine in these sodas can be a problem for children, pregnant women, and people sensitive to caffeine. Diet Coke with Splenda also carries no risks from aspartame, but the sweetness comes from sucralose, which is now on the caution list, per the CSPI, as well as ace-K, which is on CSPI's avoid list. The company stated at the time they “had no plans to remove [BVO] from Mountain Dew and Diet Mountain Dew,” but in May 2014 they reversed … Not only does it contain aspartame, ace-K, and sucralose, but it also has more caffeine than most diet sodas, and it gets its color from yellow #5, which has been shown to cause hyperactivity in some children. Aspartame consists of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, which when broken down in the system produces methanol, which can b… 4.8 out of 5 stars 11,061 ratings | 78 answered questions Price: $4.98 ($0.03 / oz) Pantry orders are delivered for $5.99 and do not qualify for FREE Delivery. Furthermore, MTN DEW ZERO SUGAR also includes more caffeine than Diet Mtn Dew Citric Acid in Mtn Dew. You guessed it: green. Zero has zero sugar and tastes better than Mountain Dew Diet. Recent studies have shown that artificial sweeteners actually increase weight gain. “Game Fuel” I don’t have boys so I won’t pretend to … ... Bottom Line – Mello Yello vs Mountain Dew. Foods that contain naturally occurring citric acid (for example from citrus … Today I review the NEW Mtn Dew® Zero Sugar! Aaron's Website (More information and extras), Blind Taste Test: Mountain Dew vs imitators. However, it sounds like you’ll have to do a taste test to decide for yourself which Dew reigns supreme! Diet Mtn Dew Carbonated Soft Drinks > Mtn Dew. Diet Mtn Dew® Code Red® All of the great taste of MTN DEW®, with a kick of cherry and no calories. The FDA in 1970 declared BVO not "generally recognized as safe," but permitted its use on an interim basis pending additional study, and it hasn’t budged from that status since. I drank it whenever I was awake.