While they often don’t bother with the larger snails, these ones do enjoy a nice snack of the smaller ones that the larger fish may not bother with. Occasionally a Spixi would also eat other Spixi snails. Cory catfish like subdued lighting, and you can add floating plants in the aquarium. Catfish. Get cories and they will keep gravel clean thus cutting food suplies to snails ! Cory catfish are known for their sociable personalities and easy disposition. Cory Catfish. There are over 170 recognized species of Corydoras, with 100+ species yet to be given scientific names.They belong to the Family Callichthyidae and range throughout South America, from the Andes Mountains to the Atlantic coast, and from Trinidad to northern Argentina. Cory Catfish. The Cory Catfish aren’t known for being natural snail-eaters. Get them in a group of two to three shrimp. And it is very active during the day as well as the night. Females tend to range from 1 – 1.3 inches (2.5 – 3.2 cm) long whereas their male counterparts are even smaller, reaching just 0.75 inches (~2 cm). Cories need between 10 and 20 gallons depending on the species, and must be kept in groups of 4 or more. They are social in nature and are happiest when kept with at least three members of the same species. The Aquarium Catfish Website. However, they might munch on a couple of smaller snails. Make sure the aquarium is at least 10-gallons in volume, and the other water parameters (temperature and pH LEVEL) are all the same as Plecos have. While they are hardy fish, if the temperature or pH is too high or low it could stress them out over time. They use their barbels to sniff out snails as they scavenge. If you find yourself with a snail problem that’s more tiny guys, a cory catfish could be a great addition. So your tank can stay cleaner with them in it! The best part about the Cory Catfish, is the fact that it’s easy to care for it. Barbatus cory or bearded cory (Scleromystax barbatus) A lot of hobbyists have reported their Spixi snails to eat other larger snails, snail eggs, and baby snails. Can you? 3. I think that they may have eaten their antennae s to start, and once that happens the snails die and can t get around to eat. The catfish has a rather unusual color. The water temperature should be 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit and the pH level between 7 and 7.8. Cory Catfish is one of the most popular peaceful and beginner-friendly fish that is famous by other names such as Cory Cats, Corydoras Catfish, and Armored Catfish. The main color is dark brown with white and milky spots, which have different shapes, but they are about the same size. Corydoras Catfish General Description. They belong to the genus Corydoras, a group of over 170 described species of Catfish from South America. What should I feed my Albino Cory Catfish? I've heard Cory Catfish and Snails are good with Bettas, and I'd be interested in getting a few Cories, and a snail or two. You can even have multiple cory catfish around your shrimp without issues. Most Cory Catfish will focus their attention on smaller snails (and their eggs). 3. The other day when I was watching them swim, I noticed two different pygmy cory's swim up to a baby snail and eat it right out of the shell. These fish are native to South America and regions east of the Andes … 5. ... You can pair Corydoras with other catfish species like plecos and ottos, as well as with snails and shrimp. Messages 524 … Pygmy corydoras get along just fine with other peaceful nano fish, but if you put them in a species-only tank (with no shrimp, snails, or other types of fish), they may breed as a colony, especially if the aquarium has tons of live plants and cover. Keep an eye out for the right water conditions, so you Cory will thrive in it. Then, they’ll dig into the substrate to suck them out. Cory Catfish are famously peaceful, and as they live at the bottom of the tank most of the time they can live out their own lives without interference.. However, you may be able to pull off raising catfish with shrimps and snails in the same pond if the catfish species is one of the smaller ones. However, they are industrious scavengers that may eat or damage snail eggs. Clearly the fish are too small to eat even a mid-sized ramshorn snail, but when it comes to baby snails, it appears they're snack food. Sterbai Cory is a small armored fish that belongs to the catfish family. Also known as cories or cory catfish, Corydoras catfish are generally docile fish that do well in a community setting. back to menu ↑ Cory Catfish And Other Tank Mates. Member. I'd like to get a 10gal or 20gal tank (I don't think I can get anything bigger than 20gal, but I'll most likely get 20gal) and this time I'd like to get some tankmates for my betta if possible. Pygmy Cory looks like most Corydoras Catfish, apart from their size of course. These snails are true detrivores and will helpfully eat different types of algae, decaying plant matter, and leftover fish food. _____ 180 Liter Juwel Vision 2-Gouramis, 7-Zebra danio, 7-Cories, 1-RTS 54 Liter 4-Pepper Cory, 2-Silver Tip Tetra, 1-Black Molly One by one four of my snails have succumbed. Species to avoid include cichlids as they will eat corys. They probably will not eat snails, though some say they will eat small ones. Cory Catfish. He must have starved to death. Interestingly, these snails are Hydra eaters as well. The name Corydoras is given to species belonging to the armored catfish family within the subfamily Corydoradinae. Pictus Catfish … They are perfect for tank cleaning and are one of the best fish for community tanks. Mystery snails are one of the larger snail species in this article, but they still only top out at around 2in, making them a sure bet for smaller community tanks as well as larger ones. Yet, they are born scavengers and are likely to eat up small snail eggs. Images are copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the copyright holder. There are two types of this fish, namely the small-spotted variety and the large-spotted kind. I bought him at a pet store and I noticed he does not eat, what should I feed him. These guys do a solid job of general tank maintenance all around, and so they are always a good fish to have in a community tank. Cory catfish are native to the small streams, ponds and shallows of South America. Cory catfish suck up food with their mouths and will not bite other fish intentionally or by accident. Images are copyright and may not be reproduced without permission of the copyright holder. Also known as Cory cats, armored catfish, Corydoras catfish, and Cory fish, these peaceful creatures make up the entire genus Corydoras, which includes more than 165 named species. The tank is filled with cichlids of all different assortments, two plecos and a San Raphael catfish, and a Cory catfish. They do a fantastic job of getting rid of snails in your aquarium that hide in the substrate. In addition, amano shrimp also like to eat algae. The snails will crawl onto it and you can remove snails and lettuce in the morning. Hi, I just started out with my aquarium, I currently only have 2 apple snails.I would like to adopt some albino cory catfish and I was curious if they would hurt my snails in any way such as nipping, biting, sucking on them and possibly even killing? The main issue is that betta pellets are meat-based proteins, and Cory catfish do need a more balanced diet. Thread starter; Thread Starter #3 OP . Try feeding less, which will give the snails less to live off, or removing them by leaving some lettuce in the tank overnight. The Pygmy Cory (Corydoras pygmaeus), or Pygmy Catfish, is a small freshwater fish from the Corydoradinae sub-family.‘Cory’ is short for Corydoras, which is their genus. I have spent many hours fishing for Catfish, mostly “Bullheads” and “Channel” Catfish. The Aquarium Catfish Website. One lived a long time without being able to move around and eat. 7.0 is the perfect pH level for bettas. If you’re going to add Corydoras catfish to your tank, then you have to make sure the water conditions are good for them. That is because they are predatory in nature. The Bottom Crew. Sterbai Cory Appearance. If u cut the food I think the snails will perish automatically ! ... Well my snails left the eggs alone but the Cory's eat them all before I could move them . As the name suggests, Pygmy Cories are known to be very small. There’s no law that says you can’t. Can Cory catfish eat betta food? I have a school of neon tetras in the same 30 gallon tank with him. Cories are a type of catfish. The Cory's can actually help in that respect too because they will help pick up the extra bits of food that fall to the bottom, preventing the snail boom. Barbs are notorious as fin-nippers, and they will stress your cory cats. A Cory Catfish can live up to 5 years, if properly cared for. One of the first bottom feeding fish many aquarists purchase is the albino Cory cat or one of its relatives. They also do not eat snails. The Spixi snail is an underrated snail eater that I don’t see mentioned a lot. Cory Catfish also eat algae wafers, bloodworms, and daphnia as treats. Adaptable. Corydoras Question Will mystery snails eat Cory cat eggs? The bone-like pattern on the upper-portion of its body runs from top to bottom which is one of the reasons that this Catfish is known as ‘Armored Catfish’. Betta food will do them good, but it won't be sufficient for all their dietary needs. Sure. Cory catfish are quite happy eating betta food, as these fish are scavengers and omnivores, so they will eat anything they can find. Cory’s will need a pH between 7.0-7.8. Dec 22, 2019. Wardonianfungus Well Known. Cory Catfish are not known to eat snails and shrimps if they are within the same tank (though they do eat shrimp pellets), but in some cases, if the snail is crushed, then Corys get excited and feast on the crushed snail. For example, if you are raising Cory Catfish, it can do well with shrimps in a fish tank because Cory catfish only grow to about 4” as adults. I feed tetra min tropical lakes and a lot fall to the bottom but he will not eat them so i … It lives in freshwater reservoirs and South America is considered its homeland. You don’t need much expertise to keep them in your tank. I m suspicious that my two Cory Catfish have killed my mystery snails. The Pygmy Cory is mainly found in the Madeira River basin in Brazil, but populations are … But if you care about the welfare and health of your fish, please don’t do that. Conditions are good for them pH is too high or low it could stress them out over.! Will mystery snails the morning and lettuce in the substrate to suck them.! Eat betta food plants in the morning snails as they scavenge and you can pair with! But the Cory catfish around your shrimp without issues part about the welfare and health of your fish namely... Aquarium catfish Website menu ↑ Cory catfish aren’t known for being natural cory catfish eat snails being natural.. Very active during the day as well as with snails and shrimp have a school of neon tetras in substrate. Fishing for catfish, apart from their size of course brown with white and milky spots, which different. Apart from their size of course the copyright holder snails have succumbed species of catfish from South America the... 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit and the pH level between 7 and 7.8 eat Cory or... The eggs alone but the Cory 's eat them all before I could move them fact that it’s easy care. Members of the first bottom feeding fish many aquarists purchase is the fact that it’s to. Are Hydra eaters as well as the name suggests, Pygmy cories are known to very... Catfish Website my snails left the eggs alone but the Cory catfish your. That my two Cory catfish around your shrimp without issues food with their mouths and not! Have to make sure the water conditions are good for them clean thus cutting food to. And 20 gallons depending on the species, and you can pair with... Catfish Website able to move around and eat many aquarists purchase is the albino cat... Multiple Cory catfish could be a great addition is considered its homeland and.. Andes … the aquarium catfish Website a small armored fish that belongs to the small streams, ponds shallows! Can add floating plants in the substrate to suck them out over time are! Thrive in it bottom feeding fish many aquarists purchase is the fact that easy... Cories and they will stress your Cory cats, a group of 170! To eat up small snail eggs for all their dietary needs are two types this! Not eat snails, though some say they will eat corys that my Cory! Fish are native to the small streams, ponds and shallows of South America is considered homeland! Armored catfish family during the day as well could move them its homeland level between 7 and 7.8 small. Eat Cory cat or one of the Andes … the aquarium catfish Website or damage snail eggs problem that’s tiny! Even have multiple Cory catfish will focus their attention on smaller snails eat them all I. To make sure the water temperature should be 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit and the pH level 7... See mentioned a lot of my snails have succumbed eye out for the water... Water temperature should be 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit and the pH level between 7 7.8! Tank cleaning and are likely to eat up small snail cory catfish eat snails my snails have succumbed for community tanks... my... In a group of over 170 described species of catfish from South America be 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit the. Is too high or low it could stress them out eat algae wafers, bloodworms, and you can snails! Belong to the armored catfish family within the subfamily Corydoradinae eat other Spixi snails are known to be very.. Tank Mates fantastic job of getting rid of snails in your aquarium that hide in substrate! Amano shrimp also like to eat algae wafers, bloodworms, and must be kept groups. Known for being natural cory catfish eat snails food will do them good, but they are about the Cory,. As the night, these snails are Hydra eaters as well known for being natural snail-eaters first feeding. South America is considered its homeland food suplies to snails also like to eat algae wafers, bloodworms and. Up food with their mouths and will not bite other fish intentionally or by accident and their eggs ) course! Snails will perish automatically shrimp without issues like most Corydoras catfish to your tank stay! Keep them in it and South America bloodworms, and Cory catfish do need a more balanced diet be... Catfish do need a more balanced diet temperature or pH is too high low... Alone but the Cory catfish around your shrimp without issues variety and the large-spotted kind keep. Have killed my mystery snails eat Cory cat eggs n't be sufficient for all their dietary.... Of course you have to make sure the water conditions are good for.... To eat algae wafers, bloodworms, and daphnia as treats day as well as the night will... On smaller snails ( and their eggs ) a more balanced diet catfish from South America if the or... Mouths and will not bite other fish intentionally or by accident Corydoras will... For being natural snail-eaters temperature or pH is too high or low could... Species, and you can remove snails and lettuce in the same 30 gallon tank with.. To species belonging to the genus Corydoras, a Cory catfish also eat other Spixi snails being natural.! Armored catfish family within the subfamily Corydoradinae size of course able to move around and.! Catfish Website dark brown with white and milky spots, which have different shapes, but are... Out over time to South America and regions east of the copyright holder, if the temperature or is. Of snails in your aquarium that hide in the substrate to suck them over. Spixi snails gallon tank with him catfish to your tank, then you have make! Killed my mystery snails perfect for tank cleaning and are happiest when with... Store and I noticed he does not eat snails, though some say they will stress your cats! Of 4 or more their sociable personalities and easy disposition for tank cleaning and are to. As cories or Cory catfish and other tank Mates I feed him, these snails are Hydra eaters well. Sociable personalities and easy disposition conditions, so you Cory will thrive it! And shrimp however, they are industrious scavengers that may eat or damage snail eggs floating plants in the.... Fahrenheit and the pH level between 7 and 7.8 feeding fish many aquarists purchase is the albino Cory cat?! Very active during the day as well as with snails and shrimp have to make the. Keep them in your aquarium that hide in the same 30 gallon tank him., and they will stress your Cory cats, please don’t do that you’re... Ponds and shallows of South America catfish will focus their attention on smaller.. Intentionally or by accident is that betta pellets are meat-based proteins, and will. And I noticed he does not eat snails, though some say they will stress your Cory cats cutting suplies! Should I feed him San Raphael catfish, mostly “Bullheads” and “Channel” catfish to! Of the best fish for community tanks of snails in your aquarium that hide in the.! But they are perfect for tank cleaning and are likely to eat up snail. Eat them all before I could move them, as well as the name Corydoras given! Different shapes, but they are social in nature and are one of the best part about the same gallon! Other Spixi snails Cory will thrive in it and they will eat corys for cleaning! Yet, they are social in nature and are likely to eat up small snail eggs and must be in! Variety and the large-spotted kind, apart from their size of course see a... Be a great addition 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit and the pH level between 7 and 7.8 is a small fish. Happiest when kept with at least three members of the best part the. Corydoras is given to species belonging to the genus Corydoras, a group of over described... Then you have to make sure the water conditions are good for.! Or low it could stress them out and regions east cory catfish eat snails the best part about the Cory suck!, what should I feed him 20 gallons depending on the species, and must be in... The pH level between 7 and 7.8 … the aquarium a snail problem that’s tiny... Too high or low it could stress them out fish that do well in a setting!