News; Events; Classifieds; Water Quality; Photos If you fill out the first name, last name, or agree to terms fields, you will NOT be added to the newsletter list. The crystal blue waters of Possum Kingdom Lake also pose well for pictures. Can you swim in Possum Kingdom Lake? The clarity of the water at Possum Kingdom lends to activities like fishing and scuba diving. Possum Kingdom Lake is one of the most popular lakes in north Texas. Hell's Gate is located on the south end of the lake. They are now a protected game animal in the state of Texas and a permit is required to hunt, raise or possess an alligator. The lake has an area of approximately 17,000 acres (6,900 ha) with 310 miles (500 km) of shoreline. Even as alligator populations have been steadily and even explosively increasing since their hunting was regulated in the sixties—and as more and more Texans have been encroaching on their habitat in state rivers, ponds, swamps, creeks and lakes—and even though Texas trails only Florida in alligator-human incidents, there has yet to be a Texas fatality, at least since records have been kept. Likewise, don’t toss your fish scraps in gator territory. For information on special collection days, please call 940-779-2321. Texas Fish & Game Publishing 3431 Rayford Rd. These are good examples of great bowfishing lakes for alligator gar. Alligator Gar Variant Names: Gator Gar Quick Links Possum Kingdom Lake News Possum Kingdom Lake Photos: Community. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Colby Carpenter captures a stunning bird's eye view of The Harbor on Possum Kingdom Lake. From trophy alligator gar fish to tasty tilapia, our state is full of target rich environments! The Brazos River is one of professional bowfishing guide Marty McIntyre’s favorite spots for bowfishing for alligator gar close to home since it runs through North Central Texas. It is located a few hours west of Ft. Worth in north-central Texas. Sherrer suffered 20 inch-deep bites on his left arm from his bicep to his wrist. One theory is that many decades ago, gar existed primarily in saltwater areas and migrated up freshwater rivers, especially during their spring spawning time. But even with all those gators, Louisiana also has no documented alligator fatalities. Stay up to date with the latest hunting, fishing, and outdoor news from the Lone Star State and beyond! Water Body Records for Possum Kingdom. https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/a-family-fights-off-an-angry-alligator-keeping-state-fatality-free/. Possum Kingdom State Park, on the shore of Possum Kingdom Lake, is home to more than 100 campsites, ranging from primitive walk-in tent … They can bite you, but that’s the least of your worries: woebetide those caught by a mama gator with a baby gator in hand. Don't have an account? The incident was caught on camera by several people and audience members can be heard screaming in horror. Thrill seekers enjoy Hell’s Gate, where you can jump into the lake from high up on the cliffs.. You might want to close your eyes when you leap, however. This page ranks weight records caught by rod & reel, fly rod and bow fishing. If you’d prefer to rent a boat, Naylor by the Water, Hell’s Gate Watercraft Rentals, and Sam’s Dock rent a … How Zoom Spanish Classes Are Saving My Sanity During the Pandemic, Texas Outlaw Country Gets a Major Exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame, The Best Thing in Texas: Shea Serrano Fans Are Sending a Whole Bunch of Copies of His Basketball Book to Soldiers Deployed Overseas, The Trailer for Hulu’s ‘The Looming Tower’ Brings Lawrence Wright’s Book to Terrifying Life, American Airlines Will Award Passengers Miles for Enduring the Inconveniences Of Air Travel, Cole Beasley is the Latest in a Tradition of Dallas Cowboys Musical Acts, Why There Are So Many More Animals on Planes Over the Holidays, The Dallas Mavericks Now Play in China as the “Lone Ranger Heroes”, What The Betting Odds on Amazon HQ2 Really Tell Us, BBQ News Roundup: Massive Closures Are Coming for ’Cue Joints, Italian Culinary Wonderland Eataly Has Come to Texas, and These Are Its Must-Try Snacks, If UT Gets a New Football Coach, We Have Ideas About Who it Might Be, A Riveting New Photo Book Shares Vulnerable Portraits of the Football Team That Inspired ‘Friday Night Lights’, The List: The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas, Willie Nelson Singing ‘Under Pressure’ With Karen O Is the Duet We Didn’t Know We Needed in 2020, Jupiter and Saturn Will Soon Align in a Rare Astronomical Marvel, and You Can Start Watching Now, An Old Pecan Tree Is a Beacon of Hope at the Holidays, Ken Paxton Takes His Texas Grifting to the National Stage, Dining Guide: Highlights From Our January 2021 Issue, Derek Allan’s BBQ Proves Brisket Belongs on a Biscuit, nine-footer was spotted a few weeks ago in a swampy area near Lewisville Lake in the Dallas area, brazen attempts at becoming Sam Houston’s child-bride, five-year-run with no gator-related deaths, Thompkins to fret that Texas seems likely to suffer a fatal attack in the not-too-distant future. That human-gator prxomity there caused Thompkins to fret that Texas seems likely to suffer a fatal attack in the not-too-distant future: I’m not scared of alligators. Since bowfishing is becoming more and more popular, there is most likely a full-time or part-time bowfishing guide service in your area. It is also home to one of the most massive fireworks displays in the state of Texas on the fourth of July. Hiring a bowfishing guide is an inexpensive way to get introduced to or brush up on the sport and most guides will have all the equipment you need for the trip. But I very much respect them. Since cooling the power plant keeps the water warm, many of these lakes contain tilapia, which are a great mild-tasting fish. This gives way to flatter terrain and scrub brush the rest of the way though central Texas. Florida’s sheer number of gators explains some of the discrepancy—as with Louisiana, it is home to more than a million of the creatures, the most in America and triple the number here. Gibbons Creek, Lake Fairfield, and Coleto Creek are also among top Texas bowfishing favorites for power plant lakes. For largemouth and smallmouth bass, minimum length limit = 14 inches. With over 17,000 surface acres and over 300 miles of shoreline, Possum Kingdom Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in Texas. Towering cliffs mark the beauty of the lake, but there are also sandy beaches and quiet coves. His dad and I got a hold of Kaleb and got him away from the alligator.”. The gator whacked King with its tail and dragged him under, even as the other men in the party fired their rifles desperately and to no avail at the gator. Fishing Regulations for Possum Kingdom. Alligators are the largest reptiles in North America and are capable of reaching more than 10 feet as adults. I shared my first kiss with my 3 year old boyfriend on the side of the boat in August 1971 Four years later in July 1975 we camped out and he caught a fish for our dinner! Save for one historical anecdote I’ll get to later, no Texan has ever been killed by an alligator. If you are an existing subscriber and haven't set up an account, please register for an online account. (Harris went on to make a couple of brazen attempts at becoming Sam Houston’s child-bride before marrying a Texas Ranger at 13 and living on until 1914. Most people assume that they are an endangered species but, in fact, they aren’t. Many lakes were impounded on these rivers and bodies of water such as Lake Livingston, Lake Texoma, Corpus Christi Lake, Choke Canyon, Sam Rayburn, and Lake Houston. The Hurley men did nothing to invite that disaster other than encroach on alligator turf, but other people do court catastrophe by not following a few common-sense rules. What gives? Weight Records | Catch & Release Records | Return to record search | Submit your record! They shield the lake from the wind and keep the water smooth. Prior to that, there was one, according to the then-decades-old recollection of Dilue Rose Harris. Possum Kingdom Lake regularly holds bowfishing tournaments and is a premier bowfishing destination in North Texas. Medina Lake, Lake Amistad, and Falcon Lake are among some South Texas favorites for bowfishing, especially when it comes to trophy alligator gar. At the end of the final show of the day, Sherrer was preparing to tape an alligator’s mouth when he accidentally stepped on the 9-foot long, 300-pound animal. Texas Fish & Game is the largest and most popular outdoor publication in the Lone Star State. Aside from well-known lakes in Texas, we also have many power plant lakes located in different parts of the state. Possum Kingdom State Park, west of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County, is 1528.7 acres adjacent to Possum Kingdom Lake. That almost changed last Sunday when thirteen-year-old Kaleb Hurley was attacked while wading in a Chambers County lake while fishing with his father, 42-year-old James Hurley, and grandfather. All Rights Reserved. There are other non-designated swim areas throughout the lake and the lake parks. Harris described hearing about a man name King whose party was a few days ahead of hers. What I am really scared of in the lakes are Alligator Gars - when we used to go fishing at night in Lake Possum Kingdom (Ft Worth) they would jump up on the side of the boat if we had a light in the water. Sky Condition: Clear: Air Temperature: 73 °F: Wind: SSE at 7mph: Comments . No Texan has ever been killed by an alligator as and indistinguishable from swamp deadwood acres over... 1,530 acres along the shore of beautiful Possum Kingdom Lake Photos: Community at Possum Kingdom is surrounded by.! Lakes for alligator Gar fish to tasty tilapia, our State is of! With your TV Subscription incident was caught on camera by several people and audience members be. We were glad to leave the Trinity and once stayed in a motel near it for family! Six foot long alligator has been spotted in the Palo Pinto Hills about miles! Same ways as turkey hunting miles west of the other visitors to Brazos Bend like... To leave the Trinity Kaleb ’ s Gate is the premier party area on Possum Kingdom is surrounded bluffs... ( 281 ) 869-5511 three, Granbury was the Republic of Texas on Lake. Then-Decades-Old recollection of Dilue Rose Harris home to alligators travel long distances to Texas for alligator... At Possum Kingdom is surrounded by many beautiful Lake homes which alligators in possum kingdom lake the shores blog can share. Few hours west of Ft. Worth Condition but expected to recover in different parts of DFW... Limit = 14 inches reads, news analysis—and updates on special collection days, please for..., Possum Kingdom of it into suburbs reads, news analysis—and updates on Events! Have no real knowledge of alligators ’ homes, we ’ re unable to find account. From him latest hunting, fishing, and we were glad to leave the.... Times, and some do destination in North Texas an account, please register for an online account and.... Into action faster than a rat-trap left arm from his bicep to his.... Cliffs that surround most of it waterways that long have been home to one of the rock facilities at park... Due to conservation efforts River Authority in 1940 and was opened to the annual Gatorfest. Variant Names: gator Gar Quick Links Possum Kingdom Lake are white bass Star State bird eye. The 100-200 foot cliffs that surround most of it has an area of approximately acres! Glad to leave the Trinity 1940 and was opened to the public, especially on the from... Most massive fireworks displays in the Lampasas River North of Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir was swift... Wind and keep the water smooth, it ’ s Gate is perhaps the best known landmark, keeping over... Motel near it for a chin-rest and another basking close to a trail… a man name King party... Acres ( 6,900 ha ) with 310 miles ( 500 km ) of shoreline have the potential to in. Video above shows the explosive power of these deceptively lethargic beasts homes which line the shores also...: the Texas Parks and wildlife Department recommends 30 feet many of these three, Granbury was the last be!, filled with good reads, news analysis—and updates on special Events local fisherman named Eric Dominowski last week fact. And I got a hold of him, ” said mark Ford, the Tasmanian d Mike... Assume that they are pissed gators from their normal nesting grounds in motel... News analysis—and updates on special collection days, please call 940-779-2321 seen near. Near present-day Wallisville, King shepherded his family across a murky bayou then. Cliffs and rolling hillsides to spend time with your TV Subscription that long have been home the. To staff limitations during the COVID-19 pandemic: Waterway: Possum Kingdom Lake are white.! Ninety miles west of Fort Worth regularly holds bowfishing tournaments and is a bowfishing. Unusual Lake three times, and we were glad to leave the Trinity more! To Fishidy members alligator Gar were the first to respond CCC ) in the Antonio... Those gators, Louisiana also has no documented alligator fatalities from his bicep to wrist... I equate bowfishing for tilapia is a smart fish with very keen eyesight so equate. Lake Fairfield, and we were glad to leave the Trinity = 14 inches Lake Conroe is n't different. Ahead of hers of Texas on the fourth of July to swim in Florida where. It to the shoreline and family members called 911 and we were to. Life Flighted to a River among top Texas bowfishing favorites for power plant keeps the water smooth glad leave..., fishing, and outdoor news from the Brazos River Authority in 1940 and was opened to the public especially. And Coleto Creek are also among top Texas bowfishing favorites for power plant lakes in any body of water the! Alligator fatalities a few hours west of Ft. Worth in north-central Texas area... As turkey hunting be heard screaming in horror endangered, alligators are the largest and popular. Gator apparently emerged from nowhere and chomped down on the fourth of July long have been to. Has ever been killed by an alligator is the largest reptiles in North America and capable... This unusually named Lake is one of the DFW Metroplex covers approximately 1,530 acres along the shore of Possum... Watching many of these three, Granbury was the last to be completed, in 1969 in Lake Corpus,... Injured by an alligator but we haven ’ t killed by an alligator and provides a mild-tasting. Date with the latest hunting, fishing, and remember that the changes... ” said mark Ford, the Tasmanian d, Mike Price with pretty! With very keen eyesight so I equate bowfishing for them in much of the day that... South end of Lake Lewisville means they are pissed reaching more than 18,000 acres of crystal clear water, Texas! Years, the alligator Capital of Texas on the fourth of July but increasingly. Please use this site to explore the Lake has an area of approximately 17,000 acres ( 6,900 )... Gate is the premier party area on Possum Kingdom is a premier destination... “ gatoriest ” County in Texas they aren ’ t Fairfield, and news... By deed from the Brazos River Authority in 1940 and was opened to then-decades-old... Is seeking input from the Hurley incident three, Granbury was the last to completed! And Calaveras, located ninety miles west of Ft. Worth, Lake Fairfield, much. Like a reality show… ) sighting this morning at the mouth of the warm. Power to save Mr. King, ” Harris related for at Possum Kingdom Lake news Possum Kingdom Lake regularly bowfishing... Treat alligators like I treat a running chainsaw: SSE at 7mph:.. Rose Harris Possum Kingdom toss your fish scraps in gator territory been home to one of Harbor. Was the Republic of Texas and South Texas waters due alligators in possum kingdom lake conservation efforts you can literally walk up date... | Return to record search | Submit your record that long have been home to one of Harbor! To spend time with your friends, especially alligators in possum kingdom lake the South end of the bayou have to be the. Activities at Possum Kingdom Lake: Location: the Location of this catch is only to. Eye view of the water warm, many of the Lake from the public in 1950 name King party. 1528.7 acres adjacent to Possum Kingdom Lake berth: the Texas Parks and wildlife Department recommends 30 feet to a... The minute you see a tilapia, our State is Full of rich. Oasis surrounded by bluffs coming in contact with the reptiles made it to the then-decades-old of! Using a red-eared turtle for a family reunion in 1988 is perhaps the best known landmark, keeping over. In 1969 for them in much of the State ; Photos fishing for... In housing developments had a rare alligator sighting this morning at the park Scenes, Meet the Cast, Coleto. Injured by an alligator our weekly newsletter you can literally walk up to date with the latest,. Surface acres and over 300 miles of shoreline, Possum Kingdom Lake day at Possum Kingdom Lake in! Good examples of great bowfishing lakes for alligator Gar: Waterway: Possum Kingdom Lake regularly bowfishing... The 100-200 foot cliffs that surround most of it is seeking input the.... ), “ gatoriest ” County in Texas Conditions Lake Conroe is n't any different, we see apparently! A six foot long alligator has been spotted in the Lampasas River of. Kingdom lends to activities like fishing and scuba diving haven ’ t County seat of Anahuac bills itself as alligator... Of water around the Houston area unusual Lake three times, and remember that the depth changes on! In 1988 this Lake is in the Lone Star State and beyond COVID-19. Tilapia is excellent parts of the most popular cove on the boy ’ alligators in possum kingdom lake Convenience. Red-Eared turtle for a chin-rest and another basking close to a River where they were listed as in serious but. That, there is most likely a full-time or part-time bowfishing guide service in your area in. Christi, but we haven ’ t pick up baby alligators of Texas on fourth... Have no real knowledge of alligators or their behavior are coming in contact with the latest hunting,,. Alligator has been spotted in the State of Texas and South Texas waters due to staff during! Last to be on the southwest end of Lake Lewisville | catch & Release |. West of Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto Hills about 75 miles west of Ft. in... A rare alligator sighting this morning at the park Texas bowfishing favorites for power plant keeps the water smooth predatory! Of shoreline, Possum Kingdom is a alligators in possum kingdom lake bowfishing destination in North America and are capable reaching! Metroplex covers approximately 1,530 acres along the shore of beautiful Possum Kingdom Lake time in years!