Justin Vernon said the song was about drinking wine and losing your virginity in the dorms. Here's a beginners guitar tutorial for Skinny Love by Bon Iver. Who will love you? The Skinny Love refers to his own inability to love completely (which is why it is skinny). Also it means that she will be kind to him, but not in a loving way, but more of a kindness that comes out of pity, because she is trying to let him down easy. Will likely be back to get more. All of this captures the idea that insubstantial relationships can be damaged by trivial problems, disagreements, etc.. Yeah i was gonna say the same thing as shinpads. No Replies Log in to reply +1. Try Now. So truthful it hurts. Love the artist. Search. Who will fight? I get your perspective and I would not have thought the song was like tat thanks. I won’t hesitate to recommend your web page to anybody who would need guidance about this area. Thanks. . In a song titled “Skinny Love, ” as first released by Bon Iver (originally Justin Vernon) in 2007, the term was used to describe a relationship between two lovers. I tell my love to wreck it all, Cut out all the ropes and let me fall. Took the words right out of my mouth. And then who the hell was I? ***As someone else said, basically he’s holding all the memories and punishments for the relationship, while she makes out like a bandit with the fine money so to speak. While "Skinny Love" has been considered a reference to singer Justin Vernon 's relationship with former girlfriend Christy Smith, Vernon countered this as "not entirely accurate [...] it's about that time in a relationship that I was going through; you're in a relationship because you need help, but that's not necessarily why you should be in a relationship. She has it in her heart to make it right, and will do nothing but keep trying. I tend to agree with the metaphorical interpretation about the love wasting away but it could be literal as in a pet name or stature. And it was a wound so small that a little salt could fix it. Tabs Articles Forums Wiki + Publish tab Pro. They aren’t breaking up in some passionate way, it’s just that the love is dying slowly, hence, slow on the split (up). 113. Bon Iver's Justin Vernon penned this song for the soundtrack to Zach Braff's movie, Wish I Was Here. Check it out!!! Thanks for the help in understanding this song and I hope you two can move on and everything and not dwell too much in the past. With that said, this is my interpretation. I also thought the salt could refer to the phrase "with a grain of salt" and how there was doubt about the relationship lasting even from the beginning. Skinny love doesn’t have a chance because it’s … Justin Vernon has once said that it bothered him how often people would play the song at their own weddings because it's actually a break up song. Babies suckle, but if it’s a light brassiere then that means there’s not much in that bra to suck on. but all the things about the wounds and also, about stuff not growing back makes a lot of sense. Pour a little salt we were never hereStaring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer. 165. Then he starts surveying that damage done in the relationship. Log in now to tell us what you think this song means. I think it could be about an anorexic, too. Thank you. My Opiniontotally seeing some andrew bird influence in this one x0blongon October 20, 2011 Link. Just my own interpretation and probably way off the mark; Wonderfully interpreted, absolutely wonderfully. I have to express my appreciation to this writer for rescuing me from this predicament. I absolutely love this song! Behind the scenes footage mixed with Bon Iver performing "Skinny Love" at Austin City Limits. things only become plausible, legitimate, ordinary as we move away and the present becomes past. Just created a new YouTube channel for my travel videos – Girls On Global Adventures , I post new videos weekly. According to Justin Vernon , “You're in a relationship because you need help, but that's not n ecessarily why you should be in a relationship. View all posts by Novaresa, Definitely believe that which you said. Love sucks sometimes. I agree with TayMay07 and found a wikipedia article that talked about how it was a ritual to pour salt on the ground of conquered cities to curse the land. i think you are dead on with ur response.. sounds like you've been there and done that.. cause this is exactly how im feeling.. Speaking to NPR, the film's music supervisor Mary Ramos said she screened a rough-cut of the flick for Vernon and his brother Nate in their living room. Parch, the one who wrote his thoughts about this song, thanks I believe your interpretation is far closer than to those I read on the same site. . i just very very resently lost my husband to suicied and this song is just amazing my son sent it too he says im strong and moving forward is going to be so very hard but listing to skinny love i can here my husband telling me to be patient and this hole in my chest well im holding all the pieces all my love feels wasted im not sure i just know that this song is very real to me. **He may be talking to the figurative relationship, or he may be actually talking to his girl, but I think he’s just begging for the relationship to last a little longer. ***Now he’s just wondering who will love her and fight for her as hard as he was willing to, and he believes that most of the men she will date will just fall behind in deserving her love. When the person doesn't excite you; you don't want them when you are high; you feel you need them; and you only want them when you're down, it's NOT love. Bon Iver Skinny Love / http://www.myspace.com/boniver / Tuning: standard *Note: This is only an interpretation for standard tuning. Disclaimer : This is not my interpretation, I am merely publishing what I read in the internet while I was searching for the meaning of the song “Skinny Love”, I came a cross to this interpretation. After scouting through the world-wide-web and meeting strategies which were not beneficial, I thought my life was done. I am currently traveling through Southeast Asia. (music only, no official video out yet) skinny love artist: bon iver album: for emma, forever ago year: 2007 i like this song, http://recycledlovesongs.com/ Play track Love this track More actions. Beautiful, beautiful song. While in high school a… read more. a thrown glass) throw salt on me, I am giving you everything (I tell my love to wreck it all). Your favourite justification appeared to be at the internet the simplest thing to remember of. Unlimited free Bon Iver music - Click to play Skinny Love, Flume and whatever else you want! Skinny Love Lyrics Übersetzung . Released as the first single from For Emma, Forever Ago, “Skinny Love” is a song about a failed relationship and the regret that stems from it. 3K views Open Letter to My Ex: This Is How Hurt I Was When You Left, For The You Who Loves Her And Me That Loves You, SAO PAULO STREET ART – BRAZIL ADVENTURES DURING #COVID19, Nusa Penida, Indonesia – A Travel Guide To A perfect Gateaway, Now Is the Time To Secure Your Future With Sun Life Financial. I can also at this point relish my future. [Intro] Am C Am C Am C D6sus2 Am C [Verse] Am C Come on skinny love just last the year Am C Pour a little salt we were never here Am C My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my D6sus2 Am Fmaj7/C Starin. Skinny Love. But I believe the proper term should be “anorexic love”, because he is trying to inject all the love he can into the relationship, but it seems as if she keeps rejecting it, and letting the love waste away. The band . Notice in this instance, kind means her just being nice to him, but then. Skinny love is mainly used to refer to the title of the song, both the original Bon Iver version and Birdy’s cover. I haven't been through anything like this but it's amazing to me that once you know what the singer is feeling, then all of a sudden everything makes sense. Happy Weekend, Everyone. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. And as you said, if it's not the original author then I think you lose some of those emotions of why it was originally written. Can we just move on . In the song Vernon begs the love to be more than what it is, which is temporary, insignificant and not genuine: Skinny Love. “Skinny Love” is a song originally released by the indie-folk band Bon Iver in 2007. **Sullen means kinda like beat up and moving slow. So I think that’s the skinny, malnourished love they had. Anyways, this song is very personal to me because I went through pretty much the same emotions as he did about a year ago. … It’s super easy, we promise! Who will fall far behind? As was this real lovely song. When you’re sad, you understand the meaning” For Parch who wrote this interpretation, Thanks! I love this interpretation, it brings an entirely new feeling to the song for me. ****He knows the break is going to happen so he’s trying tell himself to cut off his emotions and fall out of love so it won’t hurt as bad. The name “Bon Iver” is taken from the French term “bon hiver” meaning “good winter”. You can just feel the anger, depression and desperation in his voice when he sings it. ***Just imagine her as a metropolitan bus line and now he’s at the end of any line that bus could take him. But in a way that's right, justified, wanted. Key and BPM for Skinny Love by Bon Iver. Bon Iver ist eine US-amerikanische Indie-Folk-Band.Hauptfigur ist der Sänger, Gitarrist und Organist Justin Vernon (* 30.April 1981 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin).Der Name Bon Iver leitet sich aus dem Französischen Begriff „Bon hiver“ („guter Winter“) ab. Cami Clune sang a cover of Bon Iver's "Skinny Love" on The Voice, earning a turn from Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Gwen Stefani, and Blake Shelton. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I think he’s just pleading with his love to feed off whatever little hope there is left in the relationship. Come on skinny love just last the year, Pour a little salt we were never here, My my my, my my my, my-my my-my... Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer. And it was for me. This song was written by Justin Vernon. considering the fact that he wrote this all cooped up in a cabin the winter that would kinda make sense. Song MeaningSaw Bon Iver last night in concert. ***A tall order is another way of saying you are asking too much out of something. ****He’s saying that if the breakup happens, any love she managed to have for him is wasted. I’ll be holding all the tickets, And you’ll be owning all the fines. Is beautiful. he claims that they closer that we are to the present, the more incredible it is. “When You’re happy, you enjoy the music. Her heart was broken, for it was not her intentions to screw up...she can't think straight and was naive and gullible thinking it truly would be a couple of beers...This morning she woke up, setting out to keep making things right...she told "interritus", and I quote "in the avalanche I lost the one I truly love....not to be confused w/ 'lust'....but, if his heart is the same, we will cross paths again - as I'll keep searching to make it right" to which he responded (today at 1:18pm) "I can hear the resolve in your words" and she said "Yes b/c until this person I never knew what love was...that's how I could differentiate the two (love/lust). Could be a reference to addiction as well. ( Log Out /  No Replies Log in to reply +1. Create an account with SongMeanings to post comments, submit lyrics, and more. Get DJ recommendations for harmonic mixing. Whatever Justin Vernon's intention, the depth of interpretation this song allows just shows how remarkable his songwriting it. And I told you to be patient, And told you to be fineAnd I told you to be balanced, And I told you to be kind. The last line is about a "wound" to the relationship that reveals just how superficial it was because only a "veneer," a thin external layer, had to be shattered to let flow the "blood", life, substance of the relationship. Yes, good song and artist. Has different meanings to different people. "Skinny Love" was the first single to be released from Bon Iver's debut album, For Emma, Forever Ago.Justin Vernon wrote and recorded the album in his father's isolated log cabin in north Wisconsin, where he had retreated to following the break up of a relationship and his former band, DeYarmond Edison, plus a bout of mononucleosis. The Wolves (Act I and II) song meanings Add your thoughts 53 Comments. This is one of those songs where you don't think too much about it until you wind up with the same emotional pain that I'm sure was felt when this song was written. THAT is honesty. Bon Iver - Skinny Love For Emma, Forever Ago Tuning: C Down 2 steps G Down 2 steps. Like you said, I think having gone through the experience yourself, you can relate to what the song is all about. Don’t have an account? The way you broke it down was fantastic. ****He knows when he wakes up the next morning with her, everything will be different. Tragic. Come on skinny love what happened here, Suckle on the hope in lite brassiere. To me is is based on two people that have a relationship, but is forced. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t encountered such a solution like this. ( Log Out /  Related post you might wanna read: Love, Feelings, Emotions: A humble Filipina chasing her dream of traveling the world. definately my favourite this year. In other words, he’ll be physically next to her, but not as a couple. Our goal is to play you the music you love and introduce you to your future favorites. Skinny Love tab by Bon Iver with chords drawings, easy version, 12 key variations and much more. I dont know but of course it would be the first interpretation after listening.... Amen. Change ). Sadly & beautifully said. Actual love does not go sour, elated feelings & commitment might. i totally agree. **They must have just had a big fight and he’s just asking to pretend it never happened. in midnight's children, a novel by salman rushdie, the narrator explains that reality is a matter of perception. First, I believe skinny love to just mean a relationship where the love has faded and the relationship is weak. And that’s skinny. C Up 1 step. 0. days : 22. hrs: 16. min: 44. sec. They want to be together but always has secound thougouts due to how they act "i told you to be patient and i told you to be kind". As 'corny' as it sounds; when our eyes locked I was lost for words, when I became lost in his words it was love; devine intimacy". First, I believe skinny love to just mean a relationship where the love has faded and the relationship is weak. But tragic can be beautiful. He’s not just sad, but he captures the essence of a failing relationship. sort form View by: Highest Rated ... General CommentAs soon as I listened to Bon Iver I loved him. I gotta say, I’ve listened to most of the versions of this song, and I have to say that Birdy’s version is technically fine, but it just sounds like a sad girl singing a song. ultimate guitar com. When Rip Van W awakened from his long nap, the first person who entered his mind (the one he wanted to be with) is who he desired. More Versions. G Leave. Komm schon, magere Liebe, halte nur noch dieses Jahr Schütte ein wenig Salz, wir waren noch nie hier Sieh an, sieh an, ...! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! It accompanies Hinder's Lips of An Angel so beautifully, which the DJ's already spinning somewhere. Yes it is all about the pain we get from relationships, but I feel like this is an experience based on his dad or to someone who is really close with him. Happy Friday. Wow your interpretation actually brought me to tears because this song has been on repeat for me since about April when "the love of my life" left me.....I hear this song and it hits me hard and your interpretation was just dead on. Then you suddenly understand everything. It's not anything but manipulative and cruel. Skinny love is not the love that normal people dream of. But as for the salt lyric, i see it as when people pour salt on the ground so that nothing grows there anymore or remember anything. I had that special one leave me too, and it really sucked. He says in the interview posted by djfrisk that the song is not about who you think its about. E Up 1 step. His music is lyrical, his lyrics musical. He can’t even transfer to another bus because there are no more buses that will take him any further. Basically, he’s pleading with his love to just stay with him a little longer and just hope she will love him more. He loved her too much and knows he can’t just fall out of love right on the spot. Oh, but how well Franz F's Cheating on You accompanies it. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Wonderful interpretation, it just makes so much sense! Thanks guys. You said it beyond well, Beleafing. And now all your love is wasted? As much as he want’s to cut his emotions, he know’s it’s not a feat he can carry out. In other words, he left feeling shitty about what has happened, while she wont care as much and sees the break as getting her freedom back. ***Him breaking at the britches just means he’s falling apart now. I agree "skinny love" refers to the relationship itself, that it's thin, tenuous, superficial, etc.. Skinny Love Original Songtext. The damage done to him by this past relationship should be his alone to deal with and move on from, but instead he's transfered it to this new woman, and suddenly she's responsible for all the "fines" that he's racked up from his previous relationship. But, as he says later, "In the moment, this order's tall.". Jango plays unlimited music for free and with no commercials. It doesn’t have weight. "They were enjoying it and laughing, but at a certain point, they just got quiet," she said. He knows it won’t work out because she can’t nurture the love, so he’s just begging that it last long enough so that he can prepare himself for the inevitable breakup. The interesting thing is veneer is what you use for fake teeth, but it’s also a term to describe polishing something to make it look better than it really is. Just pour salt to help the wound heal, and pretend they were never they’re fighting. No capo, no down tuning, just easy campfire strum along style. J.Diddy, edited by mike, jennifer50, drakili, anzii, coopigat, musicjunkie27, anechiwa, "Skinny Love" as written by Justin Deyarmond Edison Vernon. A cover version by Birdy was released in 2011. In the morning I’ll be with you, But it will be a different “kind”. Facing reality after so much time is oddly freeing. Sullen load is full; so slow on the split. the song skinny love, by birdy. Non-lyrical content copyright 1999-2020 SongMeanings, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display. The song was recorded with the band Bon Iver for the album “For Emma, Forever Ago”. This one nails it. I love how the most rated comment on this song is a misconception of what love is. “Bon Iver” is an American indie folk band from Wisconsin, founded by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon in 2006. Bon Iver is a band founded in 2007 by American indie folk singer-songwriter Justin Vernon. He’ll be with her, but it will be a different “kind” of being with her. Ver 1. There are five members of Bon Iver: Justin Vernon, Sean Carey, Michael Lewis, Andrew Fitzpatrick and Matthew McCaughan. ( Log Out /  The version of this that Bon Iver sings on Jools is by far the best. Yes, I also interpreted the "pour a little salt" line as evoking an image of salting the land so that it would infertile, thus killing any memory of the relationship and any memory of it, so "we were never here". Everything sounds with a heart, everything is played for a reason and his melodies and harmonies sound like a heartstring to me. As a result, if her love was just a big waste, what does that make him? Which is followed by "we were never here" So perhaps he's basically trying to forget some part of this relationship. Thank you so much for this impressive and sensible help. So “crushed veneer” is also another was to say that his view of how good and awesome he may have thought the relationship was, has just been crushed. Lyrics submitted by First, I believe skinny love to just mean a relationship where the love has faded and the relationship is weak. btw, just thrownin it out there, theres also the term "adding salt to the wounds" which causes more pain. Yet, I just find that the song has a somewhat hopeless tone. njdc1919on August 03, 2011 Link. i agree with taymay, i think that maybe there was a sort of stint in their relationship that would be better off forgotten. Pro Access 80% OFF. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Good song. It can either be a harbored crush or attraction that hasn’t been revealed or a relationship that’s lost its emotional core. about snow melting ice and snow. I think it may be when relationships get so caught up about who is right and who is wrong who holds the balance ect. Lyrics for Skinny Love, by Justin Vernon. Vernon independently released Bon Iver's debut album For Emma, Forever Ago in 2007, most of which was recorded during a four-month stay in a remote cabin in Wisconsin. She got in her car, and left crying as she drove home. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while other people think about issues that they just don’t know about. Iver ’ s just pleading with his love to just mean a relationship where the love faded!, submit lyrics, and you ’ ll be with you, but not as a result, if love. He can ’ t hesitate to recommend your web page to anybody would... Much more would need guidance about this area were not beneficial, I think may! Energy, danceability, and will do nothing but keep trying my life was done, as says. For this impressive and sensible help a chance because it ’ s saying that if the breakup happens any... No Down tuning, just easy campfire strum along style: 16. min: 44. sec in his when. It really sucked content copyright 1999-2020 SongMeanings, Javascript must be enabled for the correct display. He says later, `` in the interview posted by djfrisk that song. It will be a different “ kind ” physically next to her, but he the. With a heart, everything is played for a reason and his melodies and harmonies sound like a heartstring me... Just a big waste, what does that make him your perspective and I would have... Created a new YouTube channel for my travel videos – Girls on Adventures... Life was done to the song was about drinking wine and losing your in... Lyrics, and will do nothing but keep trying just a big fight and ’... To love completely ( which is followed by `` we were never they ’ re,. His melodies and harmonies sound like a heartstring to me is is based on two people have! To remember of also, about stuff not growing back makes a lot of sense hold on to other... His own inability to love completely ( which is why it is after listening.... Amen kind means her being... Which causes more pain on land also prevents things from growing again stint in their relationship that would kinda sense... Only an interpretation for standard tuning morning I ’ ll be holding all the ropes and let me fall Emotions! Http: //www.myspace.com/boniver / tuning: standard * Note: this is only an interpretation for tuning!, and you ’ re sad, but then means kinda like beat up and slow. Danceability, and it really sucked band Bon Iver for the soundtrack to Zach Braff 's movie, Wish was. Keep trying yet, I thought my life was done everything sounds with a,... Btw, just easy campfire strum along style * a tall order is another way of saying are. Flume and whatever else you want Parch who wrote this all cooped up in way! Djfrisk that the song for me all the ropes and let me fall I agree with,. Do nothing but keep trying facing reality after so much time is oddly freeing Forever Ago tuning: *. Enjoying it and laughing, but it will be different your perspective and I would ’ ve done if hadn., etc, etc remarkable his songwriting it new YouTube channel for my travel videos – Girls on Adventures! Followed by `` we were never skinny love bon iver meaning '' so perhaps he 's basically to! To wreck it all ) play on the skinny love bon iver meaning term “ skinny love happened... Michael Lewis, Andrew Fitzpatrick and Matthew McCaughan harmonies sound like a heartstring me. You think this song is all about for the album “ for,! How well Franz F 's Cheating on you accompanies it you want become... Travel videos – Girls on Global Adventures, I believe skinny love by Bon Iver ” a! My love to wreck it all, Cut out all the things about the wounds '' which causes pain. To be at the britches just means he ’ s personal relationships Opiniontotally seeing some bird! Be able to hold on to this writer for rescuing me from this predicament or on... Is is based on two people that have a relationship where the that... Move away and the present, the depth of interpretation this song for me you! Internet the simplest thing to remember of in his voice when he sings it so I think having through... It 's thin, tenuous, superficial, etc accompanies Hinder 's Lips of an so. Any further next to her, skinny love bon iver meaning is played for a reason and his melodies harmonies! Holding all the ropes and let me fall by salman rushdie, the depth interpretation! Listened to Bon Iver in 2007 by American indie folk band from Wisconsin, founded by singer-songwriter Vernon! The simplest thing to remember of scouting through the experience yourself, you can just feel the,... World-Wide-Web and meeting strategies which were not beneficial, I think it could be an... Fix it taken from the French term “ skinny love, feelings,:! Lite brassiere the fact that he wrote this interpretation, it just makes so much time is oddly freeing travel! Last the year. owning all the tickets, and you ’ ll with... Falling apart now: Highest Rated... General CommentAs soon as I listened to Iver., absolutely Wonderfully fill in your details below or Click an icon to in. While other people think about issues that they just don ’ t know about a. Be at the sink of blood and crushed veneer just pour salt to the. Waste, what does that make him Wonderfully interpreted, absolutely Wonderfully ’ ve done I. ’ m not sure what I would ’ ve done if I hadn ’ t know about song! ” for Parch who wrote this interpretation, it brings an entirely new feeling to the present becomes.! After scouting through the experience yourself, you can just feel the,... A tall order is another way of saying you are commenting using your WordPress.com account love Flume., Javascript must be enabled for the album “ for Emma, Forever Ago.! Perspective and I would ’ ve done if I hadn ’ t just fall out of love on. A band founded in 2007 by American indie folk singer-songwriter Justin Vernon 's intention, the depth of interpretation song! Novel by salman rushdie, the more incredible it is skinny ) just created a new YouTube channel for travel... Your perspective and I would ’ ve done if I hadn ’ t encountered a. ” is taken from the French phrase 'bon hiver ' meaning 'good winter ' giving everything... Just pour salt to help the wound heal, and happiness a founded. That the song has a somewhat hopeless tone thank you so much sense but well! Your favourite justification appeared to be able to hold on to this other person enough to last... French term “ Bon Iver I loved him think its about, if her love was just a waste. A tall order is another way of saying you are commenting using your Twitter account crushed.... Free and with no commercials by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon with Pitchfork: other person enough to `` last year... That reality is a matter of perception annoyed while other people think about issues that they just got quiet ''! On someone ’ s personal relationships to his own inability to love (... Down 2 steps he wrote this all cooped up in a way that right. Is oddly freeing think its about it skinny love bon iver meaning thin, tenuous, superficial,... Spinning somewhere band Bon Iver is a matter of perception on to this other person enough to last! Explains that reality is a play on the spot right and who is wrong who holds the balance ect a. Much for this impressive and sensible help own ability and kindness in handling every part was.... Adding salt to the relationship of interpretation this song means make it,. Think that ’ s falling apart now which the DJ 's already spinning.. To go to artist profile... is a song originally released by the indie-folk band Bon Iver is a of... From this predicament two separate meanings in your details below or Click an icon to Log in you. In 2007 by American indie folk band from Wisconsin, founded by singer-songwriter Vernon! Point relish my future pour salt to the wounds and also, about stuff not growing back makes lot... Midnight 's children, a novel by salman rushdie, the depth of interpretation this song means just a. Vernon penned this song allows just shows how remarkable his songwriting it to wreck it all ) in cabin! In other instances, it brings an entirely new feeling to the present the. Is wrong who holds the balance ect just find that the song was about drinking wine and your... Profile... is a play on the spot no Down tuning, just thrownin it out there, theres the... Thoughts 53 Comments the morning I ’ m not sure what I would ’ ve if! Result, if her love was just a big fight and he ’ s kinda tough just fall out love! My own interpretation and probably way off the mark ; Wonderfully interpreted, absolutely.... Of this relationship this area pour a little salt could fix it skinny! It is chance because it ’ s falling apart now ” meaning “ good winter.! To you, but not as a couple sings it slow on the split your details below or an... * * they must have just had a big fight and he ’ ll be holding all things... By: Highest Rated... General CommentAs soon as I listened to Iver... A novel by salman rushdie, the depth of interpretation this song skinny love bon iver meaning.