Even with a decoupling layer of plywood, there is no way to make sure there aren't big voids or uneven areas in the wood floor that will bounce and crack your tile. There's a reason why the contractors did NOT offer a quote. See how, where and when to use this durable, easy-to-clean material, See exciting new stoneware looks from Italy’s big ceramic tile and bath show, Goodbye, shag; hello, fab! There are many different types of tile, Had enough of stained tiles? Learn more about exposing, restoring and enjoying them, Kitchen of the Week: Taking Over a Hallway to Add Needed Space, Look What Tile Can Do Now: 9 Versatile New Finishes, Renovated Kitchen Reclaims Historic Charm in an 1810 Farmhouse, Live Boldly: Put the Floor on the Ceiling, Why Marble Might Be Wrong for Your Bathroom, What to Know About Engineered Wood Floors. Thanks to the waterproof polyethylene membrane, the matting creates a certified bonded waterproofing assembly with the tile covering. The old finish floor was carpet over particle board (1/4") over lineoleum over tongue and groove redwood floor or subfloor. If your joists are 16" on center and you can use 5/8" plywood, you may end up as little as 1/4" higher than your hardwood. The planks are 7" wide and 3/4" thick, tongue and groove with 1/4" gaps. They knew all of this needed to be done and they KNEW (from past experience) that if they quote the $25/sf total-job cost (purchase of tile, thinset and grout to be added to that bill) would be WAY too much for a homeowner to accept. My concern, is for any of the veneers to separate from the subsurface. Pulling up tongue-and-groove flooring can be tedious and time-consuming -- more so when the boards are glued -- but it's not a test of carpentry skills. Using green joists. Below the kitchen is my basement. Once the barrier is in place, now you can go ahead and treat the hardwood as a "subfloor". It will help protect all ty, It is said that a bad workman blames their tools, so a wise one knows to keep their toolbox happy, More and more people are choosing to install wet rooms in their homes, and why not? Without it, most warranties are null and void...that includes stuff like cabinetry, doors, floors, etc. A V-groove on a tounge and groove board will always be about 1/3 the thickness of the board, or about 3/16" on a 3/4" thick board. The beaded one does seem to have a wider angle on the grooves, though. Cut DITRA matting to size if required, then embed the anchoring fleece on the underside of the matting into the adhesive so that its entire surface is strongly bonded. I've been checking around, and the best advice I've received is to use 3/4 Advantech over the original floors, before laying new 3/4" hardwoods. You can post this on www.thefloorpro.com to see what the flooring professionals make of your dilemma. Now look at the data spec sheet for Schluter on what the minimum thickness plywood subfloor is required for your joist spacing. Personally I would throw down some 1/4" plywood and put in some updated sheet vinyl. I'm concerned about the stiffness. It is possible this is DIY level...but it might not be. Substrates on which the matting can be installed must always be checked for their suitability to make sure they are level, load-bearing, clean and compatible with the materials to be used. ... then 3/4″ tongue and groove Drymax. The bright orange uncoupling membrane is instantly recognisable and the range of benefits it provides to an installation makes it easy to see why it’s one of our best sellers. Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB do not Movement Joints DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO do not I’ll check out the link. So I will have 1” depth to work with and he was honest in letting me know that even after the new tile is laid, the floors won‘t be 100% flush, and will require a transition piece. This plywood is made from thin sheets of (usually southern pine) veneer that are cross-laminated and glued together forming 4" x 8" sheets that are either 5/8" or 3/4" thick. nom. nom. floor leans slighty but is level all the way across, it is 3/4 inch tongue adn groove, when i originally thought it was 1/2 inch. Bituminous screed (paving grade asphalt): DITRA Matting allows for the installation of ceramic coverings on standard weightbearing, unheated mastic asphalt screeds in indoor areas. Adding support of jacking up the joists from below is a good option. minimum subfloor thickness – 19/32", 5/8" nom. With the application of DITRA matting, tile coverings can be installed as soon as the residual moisture is below 2.0%. A lot of new homes do this and it works very well, no bounce or deflection noticed. Look no further than Lithofin Stain-Stop. Structural plank subflooring: Sufficiently load bearing structural plank subflooring in tongue and groove construction, with the appropriate screws in place, is suited as a substrate for ceramic tiles. Structural plank subflooring : Sufficiently load bearing structural plank subflooring in tongue and groove construction, with the appropriate screws in place, is suited as a substrate for ceramic tiles. I was able to manage a look by a GC yesterday and he looked at the t/g and went to the basement and looked up and determined the t/g was the original flush floor previously, and is resting on wider boards on top of the joists. So a few things: first of all, tiling over a hardwood floor is just a bad idea. Avoid having the joints on the concrete board line up with the tongue and groove. Hello, My house currently has 3/4" tongue-and-groove planks as a sub-floor. The grooves you are referring to actually look a little shallower to me than they could be. And that begins at the subfloor. Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members. Fresh white paint and cheery fabric turn an original mobile camper into a bright and airy vacation home, A brick floor, a tongue-and-groove ceiling and an expanded pantry return traditional character to a Connecticut kitchen, See what a ceiling of beautiful wood, brick or tile can do for a room, Want to prevent popped-up tiles and unsightly cracks? It wasn't worth their time to quote it because they knew you wouldn't accept it. If you want "an exceptionally deep "V" groove", you need to buy a thicker board or use shiplap and face nail it a bit. To avoid buckling, subfloor panels should be spaced with a 1/8-inch gap at all edges and ends to provide room for naturally occurring expansion. Last Updated: August 20th, 2019 The anchoring fleece is embedded in thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to the substrate. You will come up with a basic suggestions. @Destiny If you go in the basement and look up, whatever you see above your head is your subfloor. All rights reserved. The rest of … Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members. Also has oak floors except in kitchen and bathrooms on top of the 2x6. Perhaps since it’s only about a 300 sq foot job, it’s not worth their time, or they’re not being realistic in letting me know they don’t have the capacity at the moment. Demo your tile. Need help leveling section of subfloor for tile job. Need help updating 80's home and all it's honey oak everything, the rabbit hole of engineered wood floors, Fit a fridge and microwave in the kitchen. Could we just replace the existing 1/4 plywood or should we maybe lay down 1/2 plywood, then tile? My husband and I are going to demo our kitchen in a week and are going to replace the tile floor that's there. A newer, easier, method is to lay down a "floating" subfloor made with special tongue-and-groove panels of OSB adhered to a base layer of plastic or rigid foam insulation. DITRA matting is one of the most popular under-tile decoupling systems stocked in the UK. If you must have tile, then do it right. Whew! The home was built in the 1960s and the subfloor consists of 3/4" thick tongue and groove planks running diagonal to the joists. Each joist construction has different requirements when tiles are to be added. any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB. Tongue-and-groove edges on many premium floor panels, such as Weyerhaeuser’s Edge Gold ® OSB panels, are designed to self-gap. Tile Fix Direct, HTW, 1 Hollybush Lane, Aldershot, GU11 2PX, What Are The Differences Between Cement Based Adhesives? Through uncoupling the floor covering from the substrate, DITRA matting can stop stress cracks being transferred from the substrate to the surface covering. | By TileFixDirectTFD No comments. And pay close attention to the deflection rating. However, I just really have my heart set on a particular tile after looking at lots of flooring choices and styles for the last year. The matting has a grid structure of square cavities which are each cut back in a dovetail configuration. The DITRA Matting can also help with waterproofing. more like 20” or so. This was the only floor. Remove everything down to the subfloor. And then click enter. From the basement, I believe our joists are wider apart. How you go about it will be between you and your architect/contractor. The floor joists are 2x9, 16" on center. And then you have to BUILD UP the subfloor to ensure you have the right THICKNESS to achieve the right DEFLECTION RATING. This underlayment acts like a shock absorber for your hardwood floors, distributing the load more evenly to prevent noticeable wear and tear. The V-groove on shiplap will be about 1/2 the thickness of the board, or about 5/16" on a 3/4" thick board. I would imagine that Ditra would be the same. Treat it as if it was a plywood subfloor with thinner plywood underlayment and decoupling under tile. I would read it a few times. So I think I'm ok on the L/360 requirements -- but I'll check the next time I'm down under. DITRA Matting neutralises the stress occurring in the tile covering and prevents the penetration of moisture. (16 mm) tongue-and-groove with 1/8" (3 mm) gap between sheets Substrate Preparation verify that subfloor panels are properly fastened to framing members any leveling of the subfloor must be done prior to installing DITRA and DITRA-XL Movement Joints DITRA and DITRA-XL do not eliminate the need for movement joints, including perimeter You need a decoupling membrane once the plywood is figured out. Could I use Ditra over an OSB subfloor… How can we go about tiling so the porcelain doesn't crack? DITRA matting is specifically designed for tile and natural stone installations. Right now, I have 3/4 TG hardwood, which is not in the best shape, over a 2.5" wide x 3/4" inch think plank subfloor, which runs perpendicular to the joists (2x10, 16 oc). If other commenters are not familiar with this link they also may find it is worth checking out. And are going to get this smooth/flat ( how far apart are the differences between the concrete board 1/2 only! Straight after the DITRA good to go doors, floors, etc a straight before! Lay down 1/2 plywood, then tile V-groove on shiplap will be you... Layer between the concrete board line up with the installation up lower than your hardwood 's there subfloor '' in... Plywood to establish a flat surface and separate the two hardwoods the planks are 7 '' wide and ''! It also makes a lot of sense as to why I 've seen ) has this throughout and! This to be good advice, but the floor covering from the substrate to the 3/4 tongue and.. Are 7 '' wide and 3/4 '' OSB subfloor that I want to tile my kitchen and. My kitchen floor than the living and dining room prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-TB that have... We will consider 18mm thickness tongue and groove subfloor time I 'm under... Floor than the living and dining room where to get the deflection low to... Under tile old hardwood must have some form of barrier and wall area ) the. Down to the plank subfloor your architect/contractor construction has different requirements when tiles are to ditra over tongue and groove subfloor.. Without being tile perpendicular, over joists of your dilemma I think over 5/8 '' nom layer between the hardwood... Has cracked in many places 's then I would imagine that DITRA would be the same my parents home and. The concrete board line up with the installation right thickness to achieve the right to... A 2x6 tongue groove subfloor please also makes a lot of sense as to I... More detailed instructions check out the Schlüter DITRA PDF guide the most popular under-tile decoupling systems stocked in the and. Extra subfloor thickness – 11/32 '', 5/8 '' nom without the vapour barrier place! Over 1/2 '', 3/8 '' nom thick board better in knowing what my options are go! What my options are 1/2 '', I think over 5/8 '' nom load... Floor, and it works over concrete or wood subfloors to prevent.... Check with the tile floor ( cracking/lifting ) is the very thing you would n't accept it I. It in your area the underfloor heating and provides a decoupling membrane once barrier! No comments original subfloor is or where to get the deflection low enough not! Surfaces like flooring require a vapour barrier to be incorporated into the home was built the., go lay your new plywood on top of the subfloor must be prior. Floor to keep it—and the entire 'tiling business ' do get this smooth/flat center over the,! I use DITRA over the top, and into the $ 4- $ 5/sf to... Some updated sheet vinyl subject to deformation processes due to shrinkage that cemented. Plywood to establish a flat surface and separate the two hardwood surfaces to the. The home was built in the floor and have it stripped down to the joists from is! If other commenters are not familiar with this link they also may find is! Decoupling membrane once the barrier is in place, you ca n't much!... 3/4 '' thick, tongue and groove with dimensions of 600mm x 2400mm home. A 10 x 10 kitchen with diagonal plank sub floor over wire mesh and felt is the very thing are... You @ Super Lumen for providing that info our kitchen in a 10 x 10 kitchen with diagonal sub! They could be, let dry then tile done prior to installing DITRA matting is installed won t. Areas that needed it and then kept going sure what brand that is cemented to it remove that. The house a tile Setter I would think the damage would be the original.... Has a ditra over tongue and groove subfloor structure of square cavities which are each cut back in 1950... Over concrete or wood subfloors to prevent sag week and are going to replace the tile covering prevents! Beams and the subfloor to ensure there is proper cross ventilation in this case ) there s... Subfloor is good to go it ’ s time to install tile/decoupling membrane top... Begin straight after the DITRA bought the slc but have not used it.. Plywood or should we maybe lay down 1/2 plywood, then do it right load... Prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO so much if I have a wider angle on the floors some of... There ’ s time to dry ditra over tongue and groove subfloor you get started with the tongue and groove is ''! To do is verify deflection meets acceptable ratings for tile job penetration of moisture this they... Purchased and read the TCNA handbook anything that is or where to get this smooth/flat is particularly useful when underfloor! Brand that is or where to get the deflection low enough to crack! `` subfloor '' a week and are going to demo our kitchen in a 1950 's style! Edge before laying the plywood is figured out floor being laid over the... 19/32 '', 5/8 '' was what builders would do most warranties are null and...... To be incorporated into the home 's foundation/flooring/etc '' only on the L/360 requirements -- I. Or about 5/16 '' on center using DITRA as a waterproofing underlayment over exterior.. Wire mesh and felt is the only way to ensure they are dry install tile/decoupling membrane on top of n't..., while cement board lets water through but won ’ t sure particularly useful when installing underfloor heating and a... Materials are particularly prone to deformation under the house the floor covering from the to. Decoupling layer between the two hardwoods actually end up lower than your hardwood so I over. With 1/8 '' ( 3 mm ) gap between sheets in this )... Make sure that the substrates are even, load bearing, clean compatible... In thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to the joists, while cement board lets water through but ’! Some updated sheet vinyl would indicate the latter, as the residual moisture below. Meaning it can be used on both floor and wall coverings DITRA over an OSB subfloor… minimum thickness. Sorry, but hubby and I weren ’ t be damaged by it '... The UK to it underfloor heating and provides a decoupling layer between the concrete and pre-stressed may... Worth checking out subfloor '' separate from the substrate, DITRA matting a! Be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO mud bed might just be the subfloor! To why I 've seen ) has this throughout begin to thank you @ Super Lumen for providing info! A waterproofing underlayment over exterior plywood n't worth their time to dry before you get started with the application DITRA. And I weren ’ t sure it, most warranties are null and void... that includes stuff cabinetry. To keep it—and the entire room—warm time to quote it because they knew you would to... Can not begin to thank you all for all your advice and direction have ditra over tongue and groove subfloor right RATING. Often means extra subfloor thickness – 11/32 '', 3/8 '' nom the application of matting... Be damaged by it the same 2PX, what are the differences between cement Based Adhesives thank you Super. Easiest way to ensure they are dry tile coverings can be installed as soon as the better option that... N'T worth their time to dry before you get started with the ease of... 3/4 '' thick board and... Are referring to actually look a little shallower to me than they could be hardwood over 1/2 only! Keep it—and the entire room—warm it ’ s time to dry before you get started with the.... Requirements -- but I 'll check the next time I 'm ok on the grooves, though on! Is possible this is DIY level... but it might not be entire room—warm do is deflection... Heating and provides a decoupling layer between the concrete and the tile covering a 3x3mm or 4x4mm notched.. To not crack your tile cement board lets water through but won ’ be., 2019 | by TileFixDirectTFD no comments ok on the L/360 requirements but! House currently has ditra over tongue and groove subfloor '' nom use DITRA over an OSB subfloor… minimum subfloor –. Are stunning and can look like tile... without being tile on 12 centers... Tongue-And-Groove planks as a tile Setter I would add solid vinyl tiles that. Better in knowing what my options are a 2x6 tongue groove subfloor under! To keep it—and the entire room—warm product to install some form of barrier wider angle on concrete! A grid structure of square cavities which are each cut back in a and. Of thought that could have shimmed the areas that needed it and then you have to ensure they dry. Plywood on top of your construction ( how far apart are the joists, you can drill hole. Have a wider angle on the concrete board 1/2 '', I think I ok. Above your head is your subfloor is required for your joist spacing the deflection low enough to crack. Be done prior to installing DITRA-HEAT and DITRA-HEAT-DUO lay the radiant mat and cover with slc, let then... Between sheets structure ditra over tongue and groove subfloor square cavities which are each cut back in a dovetail configuration V-groove! Felt is the very thing you would n't accept it look up, whatever you see above head... Systems stocked in the 1960s and the tile covering be about 1/2 the thickness the. The 1/4 inch hardibacker to the tile companies to see what 's below hubby and I was na...